Has anyone ever taken a stock 02-05 Explorer/Mountaineer off road? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone ever taken a stock 02-05 Explorer/Mountaineer off road?

02mountaineerv8

Reaction score
City, State
cleveland ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Permier
curious to see how these trucks do in off road conditions when there stock? 02-05 modles. Do they bottom out easily, get stuck easy? Hows the suspension handle it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02mountaineerv8 said:
curious to see how these trucks do in off road conditions when there stock? 02-05 modles. Do they bottom out easily, get stuck easy? Hows the suspension handle it?

Ive only had mine in a little mud hole..I just can't bring myself to take this nice of a truck offroad, maybe in a few years.
It's also hard to tell how it will do, since 4x4 automatically engages and your pretty much just there for the ride as Advance track prevents spinning wheels. If I need to offroad, I take my 92, since I don't worry about scratches on it.

I have!
jayrock1.jpg

jayhill.jpg

Paragon 10/2/05

Paragon 11/6/05 Part 1
Paragon 11/6/05 Part 2

I took it on 2 monthly runs at paragon and ran stock class. It did ok, got through more than i thought it would, but your still limited by ground clearence and lack of wheel travel.

Wow! Those pics are impressive. I have a '99 Sport that I have yet to really put to the test....but I'd like too. ;)

Wow! Those pics are insane!! Good work man! :thumbsup:

Have you ever done damage to the underside of the truck or had to replace the fluid in the rear end from water?

CowboyPenner said:
Wow! Those pics are impressive. I have a '99 Sport that I have yet to really put to the test....but I'd like too. ;)
Your 99 will fair better than mine. Take it out, that 4low switch is alot of fun

02mountaineerv8 said:
Wow! Those pics are insane!! Good work man!

Have you ever done damage to the underside of the truck or had to replace the fluid in the rear end from water?
I have 2 dents on the underside. Both of wich probably could have been avoided with someone more experienced than myself at the wheel. one is on the pasenger side rocker panel just aft of the front tire. I came off a rock way to hard. the other is on the front cross member as a result of misjudged clearance
I have not chaned the fluids out. I know they say your suposed to, but i dont know of anyone who actually has done it

We just got 1.3" of rain; so I had to take my new '02 out. It is full stock. Since it only has 45K on it, I think I was runnin original tires too. Just to let you know, Michelin cross-terrains suck! I cannot wait till I get some new 265s. But the X did ok. I had it in a hole that did not look to deep. Well, I hit it on the side just to be safe. It was going good, water level was at wheel hub, then I hit a 5' long hole and it came up over the driver's headlight. But I pulled out OK. I have some pics where I tried to cross diagonally over some ruts, but I had to pull out. Right rear tire came off the ground. There is almost no down travel on these 3rd gen Exploreres. If someone wants to see these pics I can send them to you. Overall, it was a good first time experience in the X. I will let you know after I get it up in the Bighorns for some real off-roading.
Jared G.

What would be the difference in off road performance between a regular 2002 X and a 2002 X Sport? Just curious as the later doesn't have the rear independant suspesion. Thanks in advance.

the 02-03 explorer sports (2doors) are identical mechanically to the 95-01 4 doors and the sport trac. The 02 and up 4 doors are a whole different animal, all around.

I've taken mine places no one should take a 3rd gen, worse than the above pics. I've had water up over the running boards, and mud covering it from head to toe. Just go with someone who can pull you out. They don't have much ground clearance, my running boards are bent, and the front air damn is ripped, and the rear bumper got pulled off on one corner, when I mis-judged a desent into a creek. As long as you have decent tires you'll be fine.

Here's where I ripped the rear bumper
offroad_rage_020506_034.jpg

Then me getting stuck, notice the to rope hooked to the hitch.
offroad_rage_020506_045.jpg

FordLover said:
, since 4x4 automatically engages and your pretty much just there for the ride as Advance track prevents spinning wheels.

Ehhh, can't you just push the T/C off button?

First, there is no way to disengage the auto 4x4. Unless you do the BWM. 3rd Gen Xs do not have T/C.
Second, I hit the Bighorns this weekend. Finally! I was pretty stoked. We started by climbing up Red Grade Rd (8% grade for 5 mi.). Once on top, we went down to a creek bed. Nothing to technical, but I did have to get out and check my lines again. I had to stop several times to check my clearance. I have some pics of how close the rear swing arms came to dragging. We hopped on down to Sand Coulee from there. It had been a while since I had been down there. It did not seem very steep going down, but on the way up, it was much steeper than I realized. I switched 'er into 4LOW to see how it would go. No problems there. Overall, it was a good trip.
Here are some observations I made, incase you are going out in your 3rd Gen X for the first time:
1. I have done the BWM and had no problems switching back and forth between 2WD to 4WD; and between 4High and 4LOW.
2. The transmission seemed to stay in the gear that I selected. It actually performed like a manual. I started several hills with the gear selector in 2nd. After the grade increased, I thought something broke because I was losing power. I put it in first and she started climbing again. The next hill I took, I started in first and was traveling under 5mph and put it in 2nd, and it shifted to 2nd. I even noticed it starting from a dead stop in second.
3. I found myself doing the teeter-totter pretty often. AKA: My right front and left rear were on the ground, but my other two wheels were in the air or not getting enough traction. Or visa-versa. Note to self," You need those 265s"!
Other than that, smooth sailing. :D I have pics if someone wants to post them or wants them mailed. :thumbsup:
Jared G.

P. doggy said:
First, there is no way to disengage the auto 4x4. Unless you do the BWM. 3rd Gen Xs do not have T/C.

Even so, those pics are all pretty cool. I do know the auto 4x4 can't be disengaged, but I was talking about the spinning tires. I have this neat button in the center console that turns my traction control off. At least I thought that's what it's for. Now I'm second guessing myself, maybe I'm wrong.

My fault. I forgot that they added that in certain '03s.

Mine...

03 X limited, 4.6, Tow Pakage, TC feature, Rear Dvd..

Lots of fun going in the mud...
762728244_l.jpg

772556068_l.jpg

Have an Idea about getting some lift on the rear...

Cut out the lower half of the Frame circle. Drop the pumpkin 6 or so inches. make a brace to reinforce the frame. It will atleast give height clearance.
Is this a good idea?

I think you might lose some frame integrity. Interesting.....

Sorry it took so long P.doggy, I've been busy the last 2 days.

Wexplorer4.jpg

Explorer6.jpg

Explorer1.jpg

hondacru27 said:
Have an Idea about getting some lift on the rear...

Cut out the lower half of the Frame circle. Drop the pumpkin 6 or so inches. make a brace to reinforce the frame. It will atleast give height clearance.
Is this a good idea?

Similar in idea to the RIZE industries Expedition kit. Except that dosnt need to cut the frame. Problem would be enginnering more travel into it, and the ground clearance of the pumpkin in offroading situations. Would be the problem of clearance and flex of an ifs vehicle on both ends. Would theoretically work though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do a BL on the third gen and that will allow you to put bigger tires on(i have seen 33's). And bigger tires are the only thing that will give you more ground clerance.

Back