• Register Today It's free!

Stock explorers good off road?

Javadog123

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo ,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS AWD
I just picked up an 04 that has stock tires. I like to go off road once in a while. Nothing insane, but some mud and fair sized puddles (1-2 feet deep, 40 feet long or so) just to give you an idea.

I've had an Isuzu Trooper (1990) and a 93 Cherokee. Never been stuck in either, both stock. But my explorer seems much bigger and more heavy. I was just wondering if any of you with stock rigs and tires can give any input into whether these are trail worthy? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my X to greenridge in western maryland last summer. Did great off road! Everything was stock, although I did get brand new tires before I went out there. It was about 12 miles total, mud everywhere (it had just rained), and some decent puddles. None of them were over a foot deep though.

Considering the fact that your rear (and likely front) coil sprigs are (or will be) broken you may want to reconsider.

IMO, these vehicles have enough problems just dealing with plain ole paved highways. Teasing the grim reaper has not been one of my favorite plays.

So these things are known for bad coil springs? I've never seen a broken coil before.

I don't climb rocks and logs and stuff. Plus, when off road I go fairly slow over rough terrain. No need to rip things apart when I got no extra cash and also need to make it back home every time. Unless these coils are junk I should be able to keep them in one piece. I don't do the convoy thing with a bunch of 4x4's around to drag me home.

Glad to hear of some success ajthomas05. I do think I'll need some better tread. My old 4x4's usually had good all terrains on them.

They're good. I took my 2000 XLT off road in really loose sand that almost got up to the bottom of the rim, it's 2wd with normal tires. The sand was really loose, funny part is I only got stuck while doing a 3 point turn on the side of the road. But I got out by myself even though there was a 4x4 silverado who could've helped me haha.

The 3rd gens are good but they are no wrangler. They have limited capability but with the skill of a good driver the Ex will tackle almost anything you throw at it. I've had no issue with my truck off road and I've taken it into some pretty harsh terrain.

Ive never been stuck in my 2000 sport. It may be 2wd but its still Decent. The only problem ive had off road was blowing out my transmission :( i got a bit throttle happy in first gear. not good. Since it cost me $1100 ive tried to stay away from mud. But it was fun while it lasted.

Air intake is the weakest link. It is right behind the right headlight. Too deep water will hydrolock the motor (bad).

The stock coil springs, particularly the rear ones, are well known to break. The break is usually a crack through the spring. The strut/spring assembly doesn't come apart when the spring cracks, so a lot of people don't realize it's broken until the back end starts to sag.

This is VERY common with 3rd gen Explorers, even for folks that don't use them for anything but getting groceries. If you're going off-roading, expect it to be an issue at some point.

Both of my rear springs were cracked and I didn't know it for awhile. A number of aftermarket strut/spring assemblies are available. Installation is pretty simple and cost is not too bad.

If you search "rear coil springs" in this forum you will find lots of cases and suggestions for parts/repairs...

Back