driveshaft bolts , what are they ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driveshaft bolts , what are they ?

pughman

Reaction score
City, State
in a galaxy far far away "MISSOURI"
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
what are these , and what size ?

Picture006.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if I remember correctly they're 12 mm

o ok, i thought they was something that i would need a new tool for ... lol...

If your taking them off you may want to heat them up with a torch. It makes it much easier.

12mm, yep.

My trick is to park on a flat surface, take the truck out of gear, with no parking brake... that sounds like a recipe for disaster right? (it doesnt hurt when it uses my leg as a chock, really), but it makes it super quick/easy when you can roll the truck back and forth to get those bolts. Easier then trying to fight around the gastank/exhaust.

Hell I got exhaust bolts off the manifold today without heat,these will hopefully come out like butter

make sure you put the flange back on in the same place, mark it before you remove.

sn0border88 said:
make sure you put the flange back on in the same place, mark it before you remove.
yep, keep the joints in phase or you will get binding/vibrations

Mark the flange on the driveshaft and the flange on the axle/transfer case/transmission when removing.. I like to use a center punch and just mark a line across both of them. Definately heat the bolts up cause they can be stubborn, don't be afraid to use a breaker bar if they don't break loose easily for you.

Or move to the West Coast and not worry about stuck bolts.

section525 said:
Or move to the West Coast and not worry about stuck bolts.

see mine came from a no salt area, so they have been coming out fine for me :thumbsup:

if im puting in new gears , should i still mark it ?

yes, gears have nothing to do with the driveshaft.

Ive actually noticed vibration (rumbling) from about (50kph - 60kph) since ive done my soa, I wonder if i should have marked it. But ive always been told it makes no difference.

Brandons said:
Ive actually noticed vibration (rumbling) from about (50kph - 60kph) since ive done my soa, I wonder if i should have marked it. But ive always been told it makes no difference.
If the driveshaft is balanced perfectly, is straight, and the U-joints and properly centered, then it wouldnt make a difference.

Yeah thats what i was thinking.. I wonder if i should bolt it up the other way just in case (actually i think i still have the mark on it from when i dropped the transmission).

Your pinion angle looks good? Mine was a little off after doing the SOA.

I wonder that too.. I angled it a bit to try and line it up with the transfercase better.... Its probably off, knowing my luck, or maybe my ujoints are going..

When I got the u joints done I did mark it but the shop rephased & balanced mine & said it didn't matter how it went in.
And yeah 12mm 12 point. My bolts came out easy as well(a first for me)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brandons said:
I wonder that too.. I angled it a bit to try and line it up with the transfercase better.... Its probably off, knowing my luck, or maybe my ujoints are going..
It should neve make a difference how the driveshaft bolts in, as it should be a balanced assembly. Now if you messed up the pinoin angle doing the SOA then you will get vibrations. With single U joints at both ends you don't want to change the pinion angle when doing an SOA.

Back