US Navy Submariner
Reaction score
City, State
Bentonville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
Callsign
KG5SPB
Okay, the sickness is taking over and a chance to save and keep another on the road .... I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Explorer 2wd for cheap o_O. Like $500 cheap.

Older gal who owned this took it to her mechanic to have the water pump replaced. Needless to say, the mechanic broke stud in the timing cover, wanted to charge more to fix it...and the owner pulled it from the shop...I see it as a quick and easy fix.

It's a 1999 V8 5.0 - 2WD - White with Grey :)rolleyes:)interior. Love them V8's

The body looks to be in great shape, Mileage is unknown at this time until I can go see it.

I have not owned a 2WD in many years so this could be potentially a good future project or just drive it like it is... :) Between my wife and I, we have 4 vehicles and they are all 4WD.

A few questions: (thinking off the top of my head)

1. Sooo...I have a set of front/rear Dana 44 axles. If I convert to 4wd with a manual BW4406 swap, will it bolt to the stock transmission?
2. If I am not mistaken, the later (post 97') BW4406 (speedometer sensor on the rear axle) will work?

-OR-

3. Give me your ideas for this or share your 2WD specs...I think some fun could come of this :)

full.jpg

full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Wife found a '98 ? this morning for $850 and the Air Conditioning works. Runs and drives. Tires probably need replaced.

I've had three 2WD V8's and one AWD V8 Explorers and Mountaineers (2000's and a 2001). I don't need AWD (or 4WD) where I live and prefer the 2WD's. They're lighter, easier to maintain, get a bit better gas mileage, are less complicated than the AWD's and you don't have to worry about matching tire wear. I also think the 2WD's have a better feel on the road than the AWD. Other than that the 2WD's and AWD's are the same vehicle and suffer from the same issues.

We're down to two Gen II V8's now, both 2WD and we're very happy with them. Great vehicles.

You'd need a 4wd 4R70W to use the transfer case.

Do what I wish I could do to mine...

Lower it on 1999 Mustang wheels!

Okay, the sickness is taking over and a chance to save and keep another on the road .... I have a chance to pick up a 1999 Explorer 2wd for cheap o_O. Like $500 cheap.

Older gal who owned this took it to her mechanic to have the water pump replaced. Needless to say, the mechanic broke stud in the timing cover, wanted to charge more to fix it...and the owner pulled it from the shop...I see it as a quick and easy fix.

It's a 1999 V8 5.0 - 2WD - White with Grey :)rolleyes:)interior. Love them V8's

The body looks to be in great shape, Mileage is unknown at this time until I can go see it.

I have not owned a 2WD in many years so this could be potentially a good future project or just drive it like it is... :) Between my wife and I, we have 4 vehicles and they are all 4WD.

A few questions: (thinking off the top of my head)

1. Sooo...I have a set of front/rear Dana 44 axles. If I convert to 4wd with a manual BW4406 swap, will it bolt to the stock transmission?
2. If I am not mistaken, the later (post 97') BW4406 (speedometer sensor on the rear axle) will work?

-OR-

3. Give me your ideas for this or share your 2WD specs...I think some fun could come of this :)

full.jpg

full.jpg

I bought an Edie Bauer 1998 V-8 this spring. PITA getting all the doors, windows and electronic AC controls working. BUT-----there is about 45 feet of two 6" burnout on my driveway when I punched that 302 just for ***** and giggles. Those old 302 Mustang engines can pour out some low-end torque. Mileage on the display showed 12mpg around town on mine.

Hey the sunroof works! And it has new 16" tires too. But those horrid key locks, AC unit and not to mention the AM/FM with no display.
I still love it

5.0 hauls ass.

I bought an Edie Bauer 1998 V-8 this spring. PITA getting all the doors, windows and electronic AC controls working. BUT-----there is about 45 feet of two 6" burnout on my driveway when I punched that 302 just for ***** and giggles. Those old 302 Mustang engines can pour out some low-end torque. Mileage on the display showed 12mpg around town on mine.

Hey the sunroof works! And it has new 16" tires too. But those horrid key locks, AC unit and not to mention the AM/FM with no display.
I still love it

5.0 hauls ass.
What lol... sorry man, a stock 5.0 Explorer is not leaving 45 feet of burn out. These don't haul ass. I've had two over the years both rwd, and still have the 01' I got new and modded and tuned (minus headers as could never find them available use or new) though now with lift. Even my Coyote Supercrew F150 with bolt ons destroyed a supercharged 5.0 Explorer that also had TQM headers. These are not quick trucks, they were ok back in their day, still about 8 seconds to 60. My SRT-8 Jeep years ago we had to disconnect front to dyno as awd dyno was down, not even that suv could do that with front disabled.

Maybe if the driveway was dirt lol....

I have a 2WD V8, amazing truck, I'd hop on that one being pretty clean looking, not rotted, and only $500? It's worth it unless it's ragged out and it doesn't look it. Probably they'll take less though, always try that, cash talks. A 2WD truck has a ton of potential in a lotta different ways, they're easier to make go fast and just faster due to less weight, plus the AWD is a gamble in old age.

^I do have to agree with the comment above mine though, I don't think you'd make that kinda burnout marks going UPHILL. Where these V8s shine though is highway kickdowns, I had a SOHC truck that felt faster out the gate, but to get like 45 and mash either, the V8 leaves the SOHC behind.

Do what I wish I could do to mine...

Lower it on 1999 Mustang wheels!

I kind of wish it was a 4 wheel drive....but it would be the plan to drop it on Mustang or equiv. wheels ....I could have one low and the other up in the air :)

Went to see the beast over the weekend and I will say it was not in that bad of shape. She started up and purr'ed like a kitten; but could use fresh wires and plugs. The interior was fair but had lots of potential to be cleaned up well. XLT with leather seats...I thought only the 'Limited' model came this way.

Other than the dent on the side, it could make for a nice truck. 213k miles on the Odometer, but rumored to be mostly highway miles. I did take it out for a short drive to see if trans shifts (about a blocks distance) and the trans shifted smoothly.

The only bad on it was it was missing a freeze plug on the drivers side rear part of the engine. In the most easy location on the block and an easy fix. Its speculated the owner pulled it after it was parked since the block was full of straight water to save it from the cold winter....were going to put a temp plug in it and get it up to temp to see if there are any leaks in the block.

More pictures of it:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Leather seats were standard in the EB, but an XLT could be ordered with almost everything that the EB came standard with. My '00 XLT had leather and was very well optioned.

Not a bad interior, I like that color more than the gray interiors if I'm honest, I had an 01 XLT with it, plus my Eddie Bauer. It needs an alignment or front end work though, the insides of the tires are worn. I'd have definitely bought it at that price.

Back