For those of you with a magnaflow Y pipe..(pictures inside) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For those of you with a magnaflow Y pipe..(pictures inside)

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Could you point out where exactly you cut your pipes in order to install it? I just need to know if theres an exact spot I need to cut. Or if can I just force one pipe to get in the other inlet without any problems? Everything will be clampped for a while until I can find a really low priced welding job.

It seems like I could cut around right where that first bar is towards the torsion bolt holding the pipes parallel to eachother....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/ryanmagahis/DSC_0790.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/ryanmagahis/DSC_0789.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/ryanmagahis/DSC_0788.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DSC_0790.jpg

DSC_0789.jpg

DSC_0788.jpg

posted them up directly so people don't have to click

No problem.

Maybe someone will chime in. Sorry I can't help further.

Too bad you don't live near me. A buddy of mine who teaches welding at a community college, is about 120 miles away.

It's no problem at all, you've been helpful already :thumbsup:

The cost of driving down there would probably be a lot less than welding jobs here haha
Although I could go to my old highschool and ask if the class could do it for me.

And you didn't have any porblems forcing the pipe in the inlets once those two bars were cut in half? I was fixing to cut around the first bar above the torsion bolt but I just found something connected to it? A sensor? I dont know

and also can you clamp the y inlets to the stock pipes or do you have to weld it?

What I did is I cut the 2 brackets you see that hold the two pipes together. I then took a clamp and forced the two pipes together til they fit into the magna flow Y pipe. I then welded the Y pipe into place, then welded the two cross section peices to hold the pipes into place. I have had no problems with doing this....and this is the second 99 explorer ive done it on. You NEED to weld it as the pipes will go into the Y pipe at a little angle.

hmm, this will be tougher than I though. I assumed that you could clamp the inlets to the y pipe but I guess not. I guess I'll have to find a cheap place around here to weld. Or by forcing the pipes into the y pipes inlets, maybe it will be strong enough to hold it in ploace on it's own because of the pipes trying to go to it's original position (trying to go wider than the y pipes inlets are positioned. Just hope it doesn't break any items going towards the cats, headers, etc.
I'll see what I can come up with. Tips anyone?

hmm, this will be tougher than I though. I assumed that you could clamp the inlets to the y pipe but I guess not. I guess I'll have to find a cheap place around here to weld. Or by forcing the pipes into the y pipes inlets, maybe it will be strong enough to hold it in ploace on it's own because of the pipes trying to go to it's original position (trying to go wider than the y pipes inlets are positioned. Just hope it doesn't break any items going towards the cats, headers, etc.
I'll see what I can come up with. Tips anyone?

You are going to have to weld the pipes in since the pipes will go into the Y at a weird angle. You will see what I mean when you put the pipes in. Make sure the welds are well sealed all the way around to prevent leaks.

Yeah I know what you mean. I can already kind of see it happening just looking at my picture then seeing yours. Alright well thanks for all your help.
I guess I'll have to wait just a little more before this goes in

Back