• Register Today It's free!

Big Wiring Upgrade

thegaffney

Reaction score
City, State
Kingman, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hello, Im gonna go ahead and do a big wiring upgrade before i get my new subs, since ive just been adding on and adding on to the system since i got it, its gettin a little messy

So tonight i ordered:

50' roll of 1/0 gauge red wire
20' of 4 gauge wire, 10ft of white and 10 of red
180amp circuit breaker (made for car audio not a house one ha)
40amp circuit breaker (the the little amps power wire)
120amp circuit breaker (for the big amps wire)
1/0 gauge to 4 4gauge dist blocks x2
2 battery terminals that accept 2 1/0 gauge wires and 2 8gauge wires
6 of the solid set screw type ring terminals for the capacitor and big 3 upgrade
2 of the regular rubber boot type ring terminals (in case the big ones are too big for something)
4 box terminal boxes to install on the fiberglass box

so i figure ill run one 1/0 gauge wire from the battery to the capacitor behind the rear seat, run 1/0 gauge from that to the dist block, run 2 4 gauge wires from that to each of my amps, will have 2 extra outputs to install my door speaker amp in the future. then run 1/0 gauge wire from a good nearby ground spot to the other dist block and then 2 4 gauge wires to the 2 amps grounds ( i know thats not necessary but it will look neat ha) .

the 180 amp breaker will be right after the battery of coarse, and the other 2 will be after the dist block, they match the amps of my amps perfectly, 40 and 120, and are prolly not needed anyways since i cant see the 4 gauge shorting from going from the back of the box to the front of the box, but oh well, again mostly to look nice. (for those that appreciate a neat mess of huge wires :)) I guess it could be nice being able to switch off just one of the amps if needed

Im sure ill have oodles of 1/0 left so ill run the wire from amp to battery, and upgrade all my grounds, and if i get some extra money from a side job this week ill pickup a performance alternator to make it worth it all.

havin 2 amps and one at 1ohm, i cant turn my knob up past 1/2 the way without my voltage meter on the dash having a seizure so hopefully this will help

any other thoughts on what i should get or do ill appreciate, i know i can get a second battery but i dont know where id put it, theres no room in the back with the fiberglass box and amp rack and i dont wanna take up any leg room for the back seats

ill also have 20 ft of my original 4gauge power wire from the battery, and 20 ft of my 8gauge wire from the batter to the 2nd amp if anyone wants to buy it, its blue it wont match the new color :p And a 6.5 in round MBQuart component speaker i dont need, i only needed one for the box

Back