Do I need this E-brake Piece?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I was messin with my explorer tonite tryin to figure out why the e-brake makes me yank so damn hard to make it release and before i could do that i had to take this miserable piece of damn plastic off, is it necessary for me to put it back on before putting my inside panel back on or can I leave it off? To me it appears just to be a dumb cover to prevent dust from entering or something, but its got that like surface rust or w/e and dust on it anyway! This is what it looks like-----
DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dunno if you need it or not

Smokes and an inhaler? Hmmmm

time to quit! I just did, its tough but oh so worth it

Oh..no they aint smokes its Camels new chew pouches, the fiance dont allow me to smoke cuz of my asthma lol :) I chew on and off

I see! good fiance

Yeah...she is..she don't want me to be one of them guys in 41 years at 60 holding an oxygen tank everywhere I go....by the way...do you have any idea why when I have my e-brake on why I need to twist the release to the left and pull out just to make the brake release easier, anyother time I have to yank it hard but tonite I was messin with it and realized if I twist it to the left it releases much easier.

yeah its just to keep stuff out of the e-brake mechanism.try some spray lithium grease in an aerosol can to free up the release mechanism.the catch is at the top of the unit so you need to try to lube the upper parts as well.made mine release smooth.

i seen where it catches and releases but its hard to get to, so I'll try your spray idea, try and drench it, without gettin it on my nice shampooed carpet

the plastic cover is just their to keep the rats nest of wires away from e-brake so u dont short some thing out other than that i dont know why else ud need it

mm....another good thought/point w/e you want to call it, with that in mind I guess I'll mess around and put this thing back on once i lube it because one of the reasons it was a rip to get off is cuz the wires were so damn close to it....

If ford thought you didn't need it they would've probably left it out to save the $0.30 that it costs to make and install that piece... If there are lots of wires then it might be there to prevent chafing and long term damage to them. I would get the brake working and then put it back, just to be sure.

-Ted

Back