• Register Today It's free!

tires for '98 Mountaineer AWD

Danny049

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer V8 AWD
Looking to get new tires and wouldnt mind going a little bigger.

Anybody have pics of 30x9.5x15 and/or 31x10.5x15 on their stock suspension?

Will the 31's fit without problems, and yes i read the sticky about tire sizes, I just want to be certain and see how they actually look with stock height.

Please let me know, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I currently run 30X9.50s for the Winter with no problems. I used to have 31s(carry over from an older Explorer). The front driver would rub on the bumper cover(plastic bumper) in reverse with the wheel cut. With a stock suspension you shouldn't have a problem running either setup.

I'm running 31's with a TT and shackle lift, I had to trim the front bumper cover about a 1/4 inch if that. Otherwise no problems.

So being a mountaineer with running boards etc, will 31's rub with no lift? seems like 30's may be a better option but 31's would be preferable. I may do the TT and rear shackles in the future but for now I want to keep it stock. Let me know

if you want the look of a bigger tire run the 31s, they fill up the wheel wells better, but I've known people to have rubbing problems on the fiberglass running boards and front bumper valances. I have a couple sets of 30x9.50s that i rotate around summer and winter, they look good on the truck and i dont have to worry about rubbing.

Do you have any pics of the 30's at stock height?

Here's mine with 30s.

Second pic is just for fun. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 608

Found a pic of the 31s when it was stock. They were actually 265/75/15. But near as makes no difference to 31".

Attachments

• Picture 174.jpg
    Picture 174.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 874

thanks for the pics...now my other question is will the rear rub when I'm towing? I haul a 780lbs 6.5x12 trailer with 2 quads. I know this pulls the back end down, just wanna make sure clearance is ok with either 30's or 31's

here's 31in mudders with tt and shackle. i highly suggest tt and shackle. it costs a total of 21$ i didnt need an alignment though. not the best picture but it helps i hope..

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 600

thanks for the pics...now my other question is will the rear rub when I'm towing? I haul a 780lbs 6.5x12 trailer with 2 quads. I know this pulls the back end down, just wanna make sure clearance is ok with either 30's or 31's

You'd be plenty fine with 30s. I would also assume ok with 31s, but not 100% sure. I don't remember how much room I had with mine.

here's 31in mudders with tt and shackle. i highly suggest tt and shackle. it costs a total of 21$ i didnt need an alignment though. not the best picture but it helps i hope..

Do you have any rubbing or other issues? and where can i get shackles?

i didnt need an alignment though.

Yes you do. You have altered the angles of the individual suspension components therefore causing your toe and camber to be out. The stock camber is set by spacer plates. These need to be replaced with cams to allow adjustability(~$30). After replacement of those you'll need an alignment(~$80 from a reputable shop).

When you do go for an alignment make sure to notify them of the changes you have made.

where can i get the shackles?

you can get the cheep shackles that work fine for like 30$ tops at autozone or schucks. they're universal. or you can go with the warrior shackles for like 80 tops i think? they look fine on stock trucks, you wont have any rubbing when towing.

when i had the truck aligned it was right after i moved up to 31's they said the camber was off and put in those things, after that i tt'd it and took it back in they said it was fine. i guess i did need an alignment but i did it in the wrong order. lol ok an alignment is like 50$ at les schwab. i forget how much those things were.

I had 30x9.50 ATs on my '97 4x4 and 31x10.50 ATs on my '98 AWD. I currently have 31x10.50 MTs on the '98 with absolutely no rubbing issues. I didn't have any issues with the '97 either. My '98 has running boards and I didn't have to trim them at all. I don't have any pictures of the 31s with the running boards, but I do have some without. I just prefer the look without the boards.

'97 4x4 - 30x9.50 ATs
X30950.jpg

'98 AWD - 31x10.50 ATs
X10.jpg

Do you have any lift, even TT and shackle or AAL?

Also, is the AAL recommended for towing to keep the rear from sagging so badly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, aal's are good for that reason. i'd suggest them but they take more time and work. it's up to you, it aint hard. shackles are about as easy as it comes. i have both on my truck.

Back