Help!! 2001 v8 fuel injector connector??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!! 2001 v8 fuel injector connector???

Jaysonlee

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Limited, AWD, 5.0
First and foremost I would like to say hello! I am a new subscriber to the site. I have browsed through the forums in the past and found some very handy information. Figured it was time to register. Now for my question...

I have 2001 Explorer Limited with 5.0 V8, and AWD. Just about to turn
109K miles. Thought it was well time for a new set of plugs and wires (yeah, I probably waited too long). All plugs came out fine on the drivers side, and got the new ones in without any trouble. Moved to the passanger side, front plug (number 1 I believe) broke off IN the head. The other 3 on the passenger side were so corrided that I could not get a socket on them. Tried heat, penetrating oil, and an e-z-out on the broke plug, but no luck.

Ended up having tp pull the head, (broke an exhaust manifold bolt in the process). Now in order to get the head off we had to rip the manifold off as well (upper and lower). Once the head was off we got the plugs, and broke bolt out, cleaned everything and went to put everything back together and ran into a major problem.

When we tried to put the Fuel Injector Connectors back on the would not clip down. I foudn a small piece of plastic on the garage floor that looks like it was some kind of lock on the Fuel injector connecter. (My helping hand removed them so I did not see how they come off. Can someone tell me What kind of Fuel Injector Connecters these are? Can I repair them? And if not where can i get, and how much will new ones cost?

Thank You SO Much in Advance! :eek:

Edit: Here are pics of my Tune up from Hell.

tuneup3.jpg

tuneup2.jpg

tuneup1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum-
I retitled your thread in an attempt to get you some help-
My truck has the return fuel system, so I am a bit unfamiliar with yours.

However-if you care to take a minute nd click the "my truck" link you'll see a very familiar story. ;)

Good luck-
if this sits very long I'll move it to the need for speed forum. Someone there will pick up for sure-
In the meantime I'll send a few PM's directing to this thread-

Your fuel injector connectors are the EV6 type. They come in pretty much all new Fords now.

It sounds like your friend broke the little locker clip that allows the EV6 wiring harness connector to snap onto AND STAY LOCKED ON the injector itself. Unless it was a REAL cold day the the plastic was brittle as all hell your buddy probably didn't snap all the little locker pieces off. Find out how many you need to replace and then just go to your local junkyard and peruse through the later model Ford vehicles. They do not have to he 5.0's or even V8's. There are mannnny Ford vehicles that use your same connector for their injectors too. Then I would just cut the wires from those EV6 connectors as long as possible. Take them back to the house and cut the old broken injector connectors off and wire the new ones back on. Make sure to match the wire colors too. Might be a good idea to take one of your connectors with a short length of its wire attached and make sure you get connectors from the JY that have the same wire coloring so that you know you are connecting them right. Ford standardizes their wiring colors between allot of their vehicles to it is very likely you will not have to concern yourself with that last step but it will ensure you have no questions about which wire to hook where. It is a slight PITA to fix but nothing bad.

The JY will probably charge you next to nothing for any used one's you do purchase.

Welcome to the forum-
I retitled your thread in an attempt to get you some help-
My truck has the return fuel system, so I am a bit unfamiliar with yours.

Yep Jon you have the EV1 connectors on your truck which is why your 42's connected without issue. Your injectors themselves also have the EV1 body style in stock form which are the "fat body" injectors. Otherwise known as EV1/EV1 injectors.

The OP has what are referred to as EV6/EV6 injectors because not only is his connectors of the EV6 style but he has the skinny injectors themselves too which is denoted by the second EV6 after the / mark.

:salute:

Guys,
Thanks SO much for thre great info! This is my daily driver and I have no other transportation, so its off to the Junk Yard to scavange some connectors! Hopefuly will be back on the road in a day or so! You guys are life savers!

Guys,
Thanks SO much for thre great info! This is my daily driver and I have no other transportation, so its off to the Junk Yard to scavange some connectors! Hopefuly will be back on the road in a day or so! You guys are life savers!
Hey J
If you do find a v8 or even a v6 explorer-
grab all of the relays and sensors you can-particularly the maf (same year v8), iat, and tps
those will cost you penny's there-and could be a lifesaver later.

you might even go for the dpfe sensor and IAC valve

If you see a 96 with the engine pulled I could use an all metal intermediate steering shaft :D

UPDATE:
Took the day off work yesterday to gather parts. Stopped by the local Ford dealership just to get a price check. Chris was just about dead on. They said $30.00 per clip ($240.00 for all 8). After pleasently declining, I made my way to a junk yard. 2 Expidetions and an Explorer later I have all 8 clips for a grand total of... A Whopping FIVE DOLLARS. Thats right... I saved 235.00 by doing a little leg work and digging.
Thanks again for everyones help! Once I have my ride running and cleaned up Ill post more pics.

UPDATE:
Took the day off work yesterday to gather parts. Stopped by the local Ford dealership just to get a price check. Chris was just about dead on. They said $30.00 per clip ($240.00 for all 8). After pleasently declining, I made my way to a junk yard. 2 Expidetions and an Explorer later I have all 8 clips for a grand total of... A Whopping FIVE DOLLARS. Thats right... I saved 235.00 by doing a little leg work and digging.
Thanks again for everyones help! Once I have my ride running and cleaned up Ill post more pics.

Hmmm, let's see. A 15% commission from $235 is $35.25. You can send my check by mail. ;)

Back