• Register Today It's free!

285's???

jutgin

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST
I think I've seen this here before but has anyone tried mounting the 285's after putting on the lift springs? I might be the first to try after I get my springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I've seen this here before but has anyone tried mounting the 285's after putting on the lift springs? I might be the first to try after I get my springs.

285 is the width. How tall of a tire are you going with?

I'm about to put 295/35/22s on mine, and it's lowered several inches.

285/75/16

285/75/16

That's a pretty big tire! According to my calculations, that would be about 3.5" more total diameter than my current wheel/tire combo (265/35/22). It should get you 1.75" more lift over stock. Your speedo/odo will be off significantly. Will it fit? Man, I dunno. How much lift do you have with the springs? I would guess your tight spot would be between the front and rear of the wheel well. Post pics if you make it work!

a 285/75/16 is a 32.6 inch tire... the current 265/75/16 max size is 31.6 inches in diameter... so the one inch difference, plus extra width... its possible that it would fit, but it would still most likely rub against the innerlining on the inside of the fender... id suggest getting wheel spacers if u do cuz i saw a picture one dude did of his control arm about an inch away from the tire at one point.. if u space it out, u mite could get a wider stance with the extra clearance from the springs

a 285/75/16 is a 32.6 inch tire... the current 265/75/16 max size is 31.6 inches in diameter... so the one inch difference, plus extra width... its possible that it would fit, but it would still most likely rub against the innerlining on the inside of the fender... id suggest getting wheel spacers if u do cuz i saw a picture one dude did of his control arm about an inch away from the tire at one point.. if u space it out, u mite could get a wider stance with the extra clearance from the springs

Sounds promising! I am alreading running the spacers. Only 1.25 right now but if I need bigger I will. coilsprings.com is supposed to call me back tomorrow and at that time I will order front and rear springs. I'm thinking 3 in front and 2 in rear. I want as much lift as possible. I would go bigger if I knew they would fit the struts. So after I get those installed I'm going somewhere to get a 285 mounted and see if it rubs much, if it's even close I'll trim like crazy just to make it work. If so I'll buy the tires and take some pics for you guys! Hang in there I'm gonna make this happen I hope.

Sounds promising! I am alreading running the spacers. Only 1.25 right now but if I need bigger I will. coilsprings.com is supposed to call me back tomorrow and at that time I will order front and rear springs. I'm thinking 3 in front and 2 in rear. I want as much lift as possible. I would go bigger if I knew they would fit the struts. So after I get those installed I'm going somewhere to get a 285 mounted and see if it rubs much, if it's even close I'll trim like crazy just to make it work. If so I'll buy the tires and take some pics for you guys! Hang in there I'm gonna make this happen I hope.

i bet that will be sooo badass looking if it works out... if u want to find out any metric tire size, i recently posted an equation to plug in the size with to find the diameter in inches... if ur interested let me know

Wow, i still think some of these suspension changes should be limited. There's a reason only so much can be done to 3rd gens, and it just seems like caution should be taken with the suspension mods. These extra wide tires would require bumper/fender trimming to accommodate safe turning - I think we need to be careful and not "stuff" tires in the wells just because we can lift - we don't have the option of lifting 5,6+ inches, caution. I'm just waiting for someone to ask about 37" swampers.... Where are PS3 and DietRock Star? They got lifted and hit the mud! ha!

285/75/16 = 32.8 x 11.2

I'm going to trim and stuff...:)

Got the 2.5" front springs and 285/75/16's ordered this weekend so we will see soon enough. If not the 265's will be fine but I hope the 285's will work. I'll be sure and post pics the day I get them mounted.

Well I got the 285's mounted. I am very pleased, there is a little rubbing at the moment but the springs are already ordered. So with the new springs and a little trim work I should be good to go!! It's very dark here now and the pics just didn't look good so I will take some good ones tomorrow and post them. I went with the primewell all-terrains 285/75/16 NO LIFT AT ALL......yet. I feel like I got at least a couple inches of lift just from the tires. Anyways checkback tomorrow for pics...

Will do... so, what's the spring situation? Just fronts for now or all around?

Will do... so, what's the spring situation? Just fronts for now or all around?

Yeah I could only afford the fronts for now so I got 2.5" springs coming in about 3 weeks they said. I am leaning toward 1" rear but I'm gonna see what I got when I get the fronts mounted. I want to be level but don't mind being slightly higher in the rear. It's looking pretty tuff though. So glad I found this forum, you guys have helped so much.

Isn't it nice knowing that all that 4x4 equipment is available to you too now? Your options are almost limitless - you can pretty much do anything to your vehicle once it's lifted. That lift and tires change everything! So, you're changing out rims too?

I'm sure you did. I got 2in out of my 265's.

Yeah I used that tire size calculator and my original 245/70/16's are 29.5" and the new 285/75/16's are 32.8. That's technically over 3 inches!!!

Yeah I used that tire size calculator and my original 245/70/16's are 29.5" and the new 285/75/16's are 32.8. That's technically over 3 inches!!!

Yea but think about it, that's three inches over the whole tire. You get half of that in actual lift.

Well I got the 285's mounted. I am very pleased, there is a little rubbing at the moment but the springs are already ordered. So with the new springs and a little trim work I should be good to go!! It's very dark here now and the pics just didn't look good so I will take some good ones tomorrow and post them. I went with the primewell all-terrains 285/75/16 NO LIFT AT ALL......yet. I feel like I got at least a couple inches of lift just from the tires. Anyways checkback tomorrow for pics...

thats awesome dude... CANT WAIT to see pics... never seen a 3rd gen with 285s... bet that thing is badass lookin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a few pics, kinda rainey out but will do for now

EX004.jpg

EX006.jpg

EX005.jpg

Let me know what you think...

Back