99 Explorer XLT Sub In back cargo area?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer XLT Sub In back cargo area??

manley09

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Hey Guys, First time poster here, love the website.

I have a place for a sub in the back of my explorer and I was wondering if I put a sub in that spot how it would sound since it would only be on one side? Here's a picture I found in the gallery of one.

Anybody have any input or any advice?

15492109-0913_img.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of people have them there, either stock or aftermarket, not sure why would there be any issues, what's behind your question? what are you thinking could happen?

I guess I was just wondering how it would affect the sound. I dont know much about speakers and subs but usually you will see a sub in the middle of the back of the car faceing towards the back, I was just wondering with the sub facing that direction if it would sound the same?

Bascially does sub placement matter?

if you really want to get technical about it yeah they are supposed to be facing rearward but it wont make that big of a difference...and its nice and out of the way there. i really like that acctaully! ive never seen that before but i think i might put mine there.

Are you sure cmdr? Subwoofers AFIK can be placed in any direction, either with the magnet to the top or mounted "normally", facing whichever side

I pureposely made sure i got the audiophile system in my mounty. Love the stock look how its nice and tucked away and not interfering in my cargo room.

New to the forum but thought I could chime in here and add a little insight. I have gained so much knowledge from the site and now have a list about 5 pages long of toys to add to the X I bought over the summer as a work truck but has turned into a "stress reducer" in the hills of PA.

Bass is non directional in confined spaces. So in a room or a car it really doesn't matter where you place them since when properly tuned you should NOT be able to hear where the bass is coming from(think home stereo and under couch or hidden subs). That said...it needs to have a proper enclosure and power to fit the sub being used. The enclosure needs to be sealed and contain the proper volume of internal air space for the sub to get optimal performance out of it(normally measured in cubic feet).

The reason a lot of folks say rear facing is best is the sound will resonate and bounce off metal, plastics, etc causing an echo effect and thus a falsely amplified sound is perceived.

And great choice on the sub in the pic used.

Thanks for all the replies guys it helped a lot!:)

The reason a lot of folks say rear facing is best is the sound will resonate and bounce off metal, plastics, etc causing an echo effect and thus a falsely amplified sound is perceived.

thats what i meant...but i just said it in a much less educated and informed way. sorry guys

garvey.. what part of pitts you from? I too am a pgh'r and bought my ex for 1500 bucks and now all I want to do is keep buy buy buy for it.. I havea lift and a garage so if your local and wanna get together we can help each other.. I did some to Steve from Steve shopping today

Carrol twp...about 15 mins down the road form you.

Lol more like 10 buddy. what are you planning to do to your x?

not to stray off topic but i saw some fellow pittsburgh Explorer owners and just wanted to say hi. I took the ex 4 wheelin in finleyville this week. We only made it 1/2 mile into the woods before my buddy buried his f250 diesel in mud and took 7 hrs to get him out so i didnt really get to test my ex. I plan on doing the TT and shackle how do you like it? Im also puttin on a safari bar and lights this week.

Right now I am getting information.

My X was built in 07/95 and since they switched to a different t-bar setup late 95 I am hoping I may get lucky. IF it has the early '95 setup I am doing a 2" body and the tt/shackles with 32x10.5. IF it has the 96 setup I may go another route and get it up in the air like the 69 ford I had before my divorce.

I normally go out in Elrama and that area but not allowed in Finleyville too much, cops know me and normally pull me over just to let me know they are around since my divorce.(wasn't pretty but The folks at the Hunting Lodge will never forget me).:dead:

Get me a PM and we may be able to meet up. I own a computer consulting firm and a construction company so I really only get out in the evenings after work but who knows! I am up to anything when I have time.

There are no union township cops anymore. They removed them from their budget. Sometimes you randomly see a Monongahela or state cop

There are no union township cops anymore. They removed them from their budget. Sometimes you randomly see a Monongahela or state cop

Yeah exactly those are the ones that have a serious dislike for me. Actually it is one primary cop that has the problem but what are ya gonna do??? I did not know he was a cop at the time and he carries a pretty big grudge BUT he should not have been where he was when I walked in....

Ok not that I kno the story but I kno the mon city cops and i'm gonna go out ona limb and guess your talkin about bobby boyer.. he's prob the only one who would carry such a grudge.... and thats not entirely true.... union twnsp just recently filed multiple complaints about the little 17 yr olds destroying our town and hanging out at sunoco gettin drunk sellin drugs etc etc and we now hold 2 contracts with both monongahela and psp.... soo I hope they nail their coke sellin *****..

I'm an ins agent so I don't get out much either till evening... I know some good local trails and I have a buddy with a vin decoder we can find out bout ur 95 right quick :) and give me a pm sometime we'll trade numbers grab a cold one or w/e shoot some pool... it would be nice to meet some local ppl into explorers all my buddies worship the HEAP and have called me a trader for commin back to the ford family

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah that would be the one and only. I understand completely about the Sunoco too. I was just up there last night and when I pulled around back to get back on 88 there were about 5 kids back there getting drinking and carrying on. Hope that gets cleaned up pretty soon.

Back