• Register Today It's free!

Corroseal on minor rust

AP9

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago SW suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6
I've read on here as well as other forums about the use of rust converters. The general consensus seems to be that for best results, these are the steps to be taken:
  1. Wash the vehicle
  2. Physically remove as much rust as possible
  3. Apply rust converter/primer
  4. Apply rubberized undercoating

Does anybody here have experience with Corroseal? I'm thinking about buying some to apply where rust is starting to show, then putting rubberized undercoating over it once it's dry. From what I've read people seem to be happy with its results, particularly in marine applications, but I would like to hear how it's held up on automobiles.

If I do decide to go ahead with it, I'll be glad to provide before-and-after photos.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about any other brand or variety of rust converter? Magnetite is quite magnetic -- could that ever be problematic?

I like POR15 and the rust treatment stuff that Eastwood sells. I've never heard of Corroseal or Magnetite.

Do you have a picture of the rusted spots you want to treat?

Sorry if this isn't a good photo, it's one I just took underhood related to a separate issue....

20130316_153726.jpg

A lot of the underhood fasteners as well as in the tailgate look like that though. Also on the frame rails (though not as bad) and a little bit inside doors. I'll get better photos.

Magnetite is the material that Corroseal and presumably other rust converters chemically convert the rust to. Since it is magnetic in nature I'm just wondering if having a coating of that on the frame or elsewhere could cause problems.

If your rust isn't severe and eating through, I think the best thing to use is either Amsoil HD Metal Protectant or Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust Aerosol. Both are spray cans, and a few cans is enough to coat the entire suspension and underbody and engine bay of your truck. I use the Amsoil stuff, and aside from making your truck smell like a crayon factory for a few days it works very, very well.

You can also use it to spray inside the doors and rockers and liftgate, as well as hinges and stuff. It lubricates pretty well, and my doors never got sticky or frozen during the winter here. It doesn't hurt to spray it on bushings either, and if you get overspray on your exhaust it'll just burn off.

It won't heal the rust that's already there, but it will slow down the spread quite a bit, as well as give a lot of protection from new rust forming.

Oh, but don't get it on your brakes or windshield. If you do, solvent is the only thing that will take it off.

Would that choke off the existing rust, or would it still be able to spread underneath?

Lanolin is a very good top coat. Apply it to undamaged surfaces or recently repaired and coated surfaces to prevent rust.
It has the added bonus of stuff like road salt not sticking to it helping to prevent further rust.

Then there's hydrophobe compounds, very expensive but very effective.

Back