33x12.5????????

macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
the tires I just got for the mountaineer are 33x12.5s. I know everyone is putting on 285/75-16s but I wanna know if they will clear there on a 8 inch wide wheel with a 3.75 inch backspacing. they are slightly wider then the 285s and taller. I figure ill have to do some triming but shouldn't be much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also im wondering if im doing this wrong to figure out the offset its: wheel width-backspacing then divid by 2 but im getting 2.125 which is 54mm how far are these gonna stick out. right around 2.25 inches farther out then stock? did I do this correct?

also im wondering if im doing this wrong to figure out the offset its: wheel width-backspacing then divid by 2 but im getting 2.125 which is 54mm how far are these gonna stick out

Offset is Backspace - (rim width/2). So for an 8" rim with 3.75" backspace, the offset is -1/4" or -6mm. They are going to stick out about as far as RBs.

Offset is Backspace - (rim width/2). So for an 8" rim with 3.75" backspace, the offset is -1/4" or -6mm. They are going to stick out about as far as RBs.

I love the internet haha its 3:37am where im at and I get a reply thanks jcuz I was worried cuz I want the 33s but didn't know

this is the guy im getting them from. traded my 20s with wheels spacers for his 33s looks like its time for a road trip.

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234206

those tires and rims are goin make your mounty look rediculous !!!!

your mounty will prob be the toughest looking 3rd gen mounty on the site !!!

after the accident I said I was gonna get the mountaineer something so I got the wheels and tires and hit up rb on a qoute for 3/2.5 inch spacers. can't wait to get it all lifted

Gonna look great. I'm glad you're able to get the Mounty fixed and that she's not a write off.

Gonna look great. I'm glad you're able to get the Mounty fixed and that she's not a write off.
X2

Will 15" rims fit on our X's, I thought their was a recent thread and they said the won't clear our calipers. Maybe I'm wrong.

its not the calipers its the nuckles.

I mounted a 15 inch rim on mine, I had to take aboiut 1/4 inch off the bottom of the nuckle and even then clearance was tight. after getting them on there I really didn't care for the look. that was a good 25,000miles ago no signs of anything negative up front.

i can dig up some crappy pics I took if anyone wants.

hey conig you used wheels that where factory 15s correct? I call a rim shop and when over it with them they said with that backspacing it will fit no problems. the lip of the rim is barely gonna barely cover the full calibers

id like to see these picks tho do you know the backspacing of these wheels you put on. or can you find out

internet nazi block photobucket so i never get to see your guys pics in the day. I'll have to access mine when i get home.

I had 15x8 3.75 they were dc1's.

thats less offset then stock, its not the caliper thats the clearance issue. search for IamTodds post on here he took some good pics of the problem. its the actual spindle/knuckle the tire shop is flat out wrong.

only way to get them in there is to grind and the tire shop must strategically place the weights. clearance is honestly that tight so tight i never pulled it out of the driveway. I was worried it might flex while driving and destroy the rim.

Now that's close!
attachment.php

I don't see why you can't shave it though. Also, the DC-1's have a higher clearance than normal 15's. http://www.dickcepek.com/DC1_Black.html

I wish my truck was here so I could take a look and see what the squared off piece is for. I don't mind grinding it off if its not used for anything.

what do you guys think? should I do it or no? I have the tools to grind it down but idk

you sure the backspace was 3.75 for those wheels also.

it may look like ill be buying donners wheels

you basically have to make the knuckle smaller. its not for the faint of heart i should probable rotate my tires and could snap a pic but im dealing with a death in the family at the moment.

positive on the backspacing it normally takes me 2 years to find the rims i want im more picky on offsets and backspacing then anything else. lol I still have the truck there on too. sorta.

2007_04210016.jpg

2007_04210017.jpg

2005_0111parts0003.jpg

2007_04210015.jpg

see I think the 15 inch wheel with a big tire on it makes the explorers and mountaineers look like its lifted higher and its better for playing in the sand with. that why I wanna get them.
im sorry to hear about your situation conig I wish you my best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also did the rears end up fitting or did you need to trim the dust sheilds on the rear alsol

Back