What are any pros / cons to running a 16 inch rim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are any pros / cons to running a 16 inch rim?

Ok, the 4.56 gears and 31s is too harsh on the highway, need to gets some tires asap. I want 33s so its going to be 33x10.5 (kind of on the skinny side) on the stock 15s, or Ill have to buy some rims for 33x12.5 (which I think will need to much trimming and are bigger than I need) The 285 75 16s should be bout right in my opinion, also, a lot more choices of brand than the 10.5s
Should I scrounge a set of stock 16s or get some cheap rockcrawler type rims. I cant find them with 3.75 backspacing though.
Also any drawbacks to running 16s? Any advantages?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bet that sucks on the highway with that set up. I would put the 33x10. on the stock wheel for now. It will be your cheapest way. Unless you can afford to get the 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing steelies and get some 33x12.50 mounted up on them. From what I've seen/experienced, a 16" tire is more expensive than most others.

You won't have to trim much if any at all with a 3" lift and 33s.

Ive got brand new stock coils and some spacers for the front already. Im getting shackles and they all will go on with the 33s.
In the same brand the 16s seem to cost more but BFGs arnt the cheapest brand, I can get the 285 Kumhos for less than the 33x10.5 BFGs by almost enough to pay for the rims.
Before I did the gears, I calculated 65mph should only be 2800ish rpm which is livable but unless everyone on the road next to me is going 70+ I was wrong :confused: Im gonna nab the magellan gps off my dads boat tomorrow and find out how fast Im really going.
My engine starts sounding unhappy by 3000 so yes its tire time!
It was my plan anyway to do it after taxes, just thought it might be ok for a month. Nope. Though on the plus side I can start on any hill around here without lugging and pinging now.

FROADER said:
get the 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing steelies and get some 33x12.50 mounted up on them.
You won't have to trim much if any at all with a 3" lift and 33s.

thats exactly what i would do... but if u really don't want a wide tire just keep the stockers and put some 33x10.50's on them. and running 31's and 4.56's is just like running 35's and 5.13's... its a good combo ;)

jeeze, according to that I am going 76mph at 3000 rpm I dont think traffic is going that fast or my tires are actually 26.2 inches. Maybe my tach is screwed up. Its correct at idle.

On my 1993 I am running 33 10.50's on the stock rims. They work just fine. You have alot better gear ratio than me. I have 3.27. you will be O.K. with the stock 15x7 rims.
-Nick Good

31's and 4.56's is just like 35's and 5.13's. so u really should be at around 2700 to 2800 rpm's at 65 mph. i assume u have the auto which is why your running higher than i am. i'm only at 2600 rpm's at 65 mph. yours shouldn't be much off that. u'd actually be fine running that combo untill your ready for tires. just keep 65 mph and below and gas won't go quite as fast. unless your not worried about that aspect of it. either way u should be good till u get your tires.

Nick, what lift are you running? Im a bit concerned with 3 inches of body lift, 1.5 inch of suspension and 2 inches from tires and the center of gravity. Seems like I should at least get the wider rims or spacers or something.
Just found out My step daughter needs 5400 dollars of dental work. I knew it was going to be pretty bad but ugh. I guess well be going cheap on the truck for now LOL

Im a bit concerned with 3 inches of body lift said:
u should't get spacers. just get the wider wheels. and if your really worried about it get the wider tires too. it can only help... and every little bit helps. my truck is taller than it needs to be. but i'm also wider than it than it should be. then it all evens out. tall and narrow is a bad combo

for anyone curios, I found a con The 285/75 16s are almost all D rated on load and weigh more. The Kuhmos I like are actually heavier than there 35x12.5!
Which are C rated

mysticclam said:
Nick, what lift are you running? Im a bit concerned with 3 inches of body lift, 1.5 inch of suspension and 2 inches from tires and the center of gravity. Seems like I should at least get the wider rims or spacers or something.
Just found out My step daughter needs 5400 dollars of dental work. I knew it was going to be pretty bad but ugh. I guess well be going cheap on the truck for now LOL

I'm running the 4" superlift w/ extended arms. I havnt noticed any problem with running this combo.
Nick Good

Back