4x4 problem (read sticky) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problem (read sticky)

fatboy1185

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
92 Explorer. The shift module is fine, when i press the button, i hear it click, and i also tested it and got 4 flashing red lights. But no light comes on when i press button. The previous owner said he never used the 4x4. I'm having problems finding the shift motor? If someone could post up a picture to help me out, please and thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much dead center underneath your truck, it's attached to the back of the transfer case which is connected to the back of the transmission. Just follow your drive shaft...

92 Explorer. The shift module is fine, when i press the button, i hear it click, and i also tested it and got 4 flashing red lights. But no light comes on when i press button. The previous owner said he never used the 4x4. I'm having problems finding the shift motor? If someone could post up a picture to help me out, please and thanks.

The picture below is from the 4x4 Troubleshooting guide and shift motor rebuild threads did you miss it?

27133Tcase20B.jpg

no i saw that picture, i'm just having trouble finding it under the car lol. I think i may have found it though.

On my sport it is pretty much right under the driver seat. Also to see the shift motor better you should take off your vibration dampener, it is the big circle shaped hunk of metal hanging off your transfer case. After I fixed my motor I just left it off.

So I tried the bang method, 4x4 still doesnt work. So how do i remove the shift motor? I have it hanging by the wires, but cant find a spot to unhook any wires?

Also, if i manually turn the transfer case selector from 2H to 4H, will the 4x4 light come on the dash?

Also, if i manually turn the transfer case selector from 2H to 4H, will the 4x4 light come on the dash?

The dash light comes on because of the electrical contacts made on the geared sensor cover. As such If you manually turn the t-case to 2H (you are in 2H regardless of what the lights indicate). However to re-install the shift motor (after turning the selector to 2H) you must remove the geared sensor cover & gear then reinstall the shift motor, then the geared sensor, then cover.

Ok, good, because the light didn't come on when i turned it to 4H. I ordered a t20 bit, so i guess i'll be removing the gear sensor cover and seeing what i can find.

sorry,i did read the 4x4 troubleshooting guide
but i still have to ask: "when i bought my 1991 explorer the shift motor electrical connector had previously been disconnected and dangling in the breeze for all the world to see! nobody knew anything."
well,if i reconnect it what can i expect to happen?
should i check something out before i do?
could something go horribly wrong?

Back