86EXPLORER86's 04 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

86EXPLORER86's 04 Explorer

Pretty large wheel adapters you got going on there....you do know those add A LOT of stress to suspension/steering components, right?

Does it really add that much?
A couple of weeks ago on Trucks on spikeTV, they added 1 ton rotors to a 1/2 ton dodge. They were a direct bolt on and use the same spindle. That effectively moved the offset out inches..so they could use dually wheels all around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it really add that much?.
It does - the suspension part is pretty obvious as its all shear but the steering part is called "scrub radius".

And some of the things I see on SpikeTV are pretty much "ghetto rigged" so I'd take them with a grain of salt so to speak.

the upper control arm is thin metal

so that took most of the stress.

And some of the things I see on SpikeTV are pretty much "ghetto rigged" so I'd take them with a grain of salt so to speak.

Cant disagree there...

EVERY THING MUST GO...
l_c432bf9bf17540119f2cdcdd0ec2ae8e.jpg

l_aed4efd5ebff46e0a030eb8106e740c3.jpg

l_3bdbab3442044eaca8ac241e41f05498.jpg

l_9625e4f1206349a8b696284a346aa00c.jpg

l_98a01416c550402d94c1834b0b390cd5.jpg

CAGE WILL COME SOON

Poor little ex, just sitting there all helpless as you rip apart its guts.... LOL, cant wait to see the cage!!!

Poor little ex, just sitting there all helpless as you rip apart its guts.... LOL, cant wait to see the cage!!!

i agree, you know theres a lot more room in my x now that i have every thing out:D

Word of advice if you intend to use the truck at all. Ditch the spacers, they are not safe. Saw your explorer last night, pretty clean. But after seeing the angle the spacer lift puts the upper ball joint at i would never ever put one on a vehicle i own. Scary....

never realized how big the inside of a ex actually is. can't wait to see it all caged.keep posting the updates

i agree with carlover about not using the spacers if your gonna baja a ex those trucks take a beaten. altho if you don't really beat the hell out of it i don't see an issue with the spacers for some slow east coast offroading. i just like having the look of it lifted so i guess you can say its all show. i bought a 96 hummer H1 to play off road so the only place my mountaineer will see offroad is at the beach or maybe a little mud at work sooo.

Last time I went to the track, I took my second row seats out. Sitting in the 3rd row made the Ex feel HUGE!!! Put my 40" LCD and PS3 inside, I'd never leave the Ex:D

never realized how big the inside of a ex actually is. can't wait to see it all caged.keep posting the updates

i agree with carlover about not using the spacers if your gonna baja a ex those trucks take a beaten. altho if you don't really beat the hell out of it i don't see an issue with the spacers for some slow east coast offroading. i just like having the look of it lifted so i guess you can say its all show. i bought a 96 hummer H1 to play off road so the only place my mountaineer will see offroad is at the beach or maybe a little mud at work sooo.

So that's why you didn't buy my Bronco:( JK. You need to quit buying things and send me some money so I can start a build fund:D

don't worry i'll post pics when i get home. only 20some days till i'm state side

2 mounty's and an H1??? Damn bro

i sold the white mounty for the H1. i'm planning on a duramax swap, lift and some 40s on the h1. the h1 has some damage on both rear corners so i'm planning on putting diamond plate on the rear after i get the whole truck sprayed gunmetal

civilian. i bought it off a radio station. it was sitting there for a good 5 years and every time i drove past it sitting in there parking lot i would say one day i'm gonna buy it. well i was on my way to iraq and i called my brother to tell him to go to the radio station to find out about it. and sold right there my brother went and pulled cash out of my account

I definitely want to see some updates as progress is made! It's not as common to see the cage done before the suspension. So i know you're keeping the IRS, are you going to be incorporating rear shock mounts into the cage right away? Or will the shocks be kept under the floor somehow? Are you keeping the 2nd row of seats? I'm sure with a vehicle like this which has never been built before and nothing to base your build off of, everything's gotta be mapped out in advance.

I definitely want to see some updates as progress is made! It's not as common to see the cage done before the suspension. So i know you're keeping the IRS, are you going to be incorporating rear shock mounts into the cage right away? Or will the shocks be kept under the floor somehow? Are you keeping the 2nd row of seats? I'm sure with a vehicle like this which has never been built before and nothing to base your build off of, everything's gotta be mapped out in advance.

It will take longer now,

I have had my truck now at btf for 2 weeks, Brandon has drawings for the spindle, and the spindle cost is too much for me at this time.

BTF will install upper control arms and converting my spindle to uniball, Brandon says my truck will be ready in a week really need it sooner though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here are the arms with the uniballl

first 3rd gen with these striaght from BTF fab.

ATT00200.jpg

Back