• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Dilemma

lycan91

Reaction score
City, State
Yreka CA population 7,500 just shy of oregon border
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Got this radiator for free the in-laws got it from a friend of theirs and said it is out of an explorer. But it does not look like it is the same as mine completely. Got a pic of the serial or part number as well as pics of the radiator its self.
IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6356.jpg

IMG_6357.jpg

Notice in this pic the lower hose spout is angled.
IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6363.jpg

What are the fittings for? Tranny cooler? It's got a ford radiator cap on it. I dont feel like ripping into it before i have the right radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the right one to me. Yes the fittings are for the tranny cooler. And that lower radiator hose connection is supposed to be angled like that.
I looked for the fittings on mine and I couldn't see them do manual trannies have tranny coolers?

No, manual transmissions do not have coolers. Don't worry about the fittings on the radiator for them, just don't use them. Don't even have to plug them.

Since that radiator is for an Automatic, it might seem a little different from yours. That is because the automatic equipped explorers had bigger radiators. So this one should provide you with better cooling.

No, manual transmissions do not have coolers. Don't worry about the fittings on the radiator for them, just don't use them. Don't even have to plug them.

Since that radiator is for an Automatic, it might seem a little different from yours. That is because the automatic equipped explorers had bigger radiators. So this one should provide you with better cooling.
Will there be any clearance issues that I should worry about?

The Fan Shroud is different for Auto vs. Manual. The Auto shroud is thicker, due to the thinner Radiator. And likewise, the Manual shroud is thinner, due to the thicker radiator.

Ryan

The Fan Shroud is different for 2WD vs. 4WD. The 2WD shroud is thicker, due to the thinner Radiator. And likewise, the 4WD shroud is thinner, due to the thicker radiator.

Ryan

I don't know if the radiator I have came from a 2 or 4wd. i know my explorer is a 4wd, but my radiator is slimmer.

I fixed the post so it makes more sense.

It should have read Auto vs. Manual. NOT 2WD vs. 4WD.

Sorry,
Ryan

My radiator that is currently on is thinner than the new one, so would my shroud work with the thicker radiator?

Most likely it will interfere with the belt on the front of the motor. You could just go to the junkyard and get the right shroud, or go without for awhile. Your best bet would just be to find another one. However, I have been without a shroud for quite a while now with out any ill effects. Just know the protection of it won't be there and it won't cool quite as well, although since you are using a bigger radiator that may be a non issue.

Most likely it will interfere with the belt on the front of the motor. You could just go to the junkyard and get the right shroud, or go without for awhile. Your best bet would just be to find another one. However, I have been without a shroud for quite a while now with out any ill effects. Just know the protection of it won't be there and it won't cool quite as well, although since you are using a bigger radiator that may be a non issue.
Could I trim it? I should be able to find the right one fairly cheap any how so no biggy.

Could I trim it? I should be able to find the right one fairly cheap any how so no biggy.

yes, I don't see why not.

But in might be easier to just find a junk yard one....

I would say it's up to you.

Friday it should be done! Or at least started. Thanks guys, my questions seemed newbish, i know. I was just thrown off by the size difference.

None of us knew until we asked, or saw someone else who asked.... or maybe the off person who has a auto and a manual Explorer.

At one point in time, none of us knew the answer.
Now you also know the answer, and can pass it on when your asked.

:) Karma works that way! LOL

And everybody was a noob sometime. Hell, I still am!

Back