radiator questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radiator questions

Amopower

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
1. should you put some sort of lube on the transmission cooler line that goes into the radiator, or some teflon tape
2. what is the purpose of the radiator cap, is it to relieve pressure so that the radiator doesnt burst? what happens when the cap is faulty?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2. the purpose of the radiator cap is to actually hold pressure in your cooling system. However, if that pressure gets to high your radiator cap has a spring between the housing of the cap and a rubber seal. When the pressure exceeds the force of th spring, the spring compresses and the rubber seal lifts off the top of the radiator spout. after this seal lifts there is a small hole in the radiator spout just above where the rubber would make the seal. that hole has a hose connected to it from the outside and goes to an over flow tank, this way extra fluid can escape thus reducinc volume in the system and consequently pressure as well. hope this makes sense, if you can't visualise it pop your hood and go take a look at ther parts.

I would recommend replacing the cap if it looks worn, the rubber seal is dilapidated or if its really old. make sure you get a new cap that has the same spring force. it usually says on the cap for example: 13lb or something like that

1. i never have and i havent had any sealing problems. just tighted it down decently but be carefull not to over tighten

when i got my new radiator they said notnhing over 13lbs. if it was it would viod the warrenty

I had problem #1 as well. Someone on this site recommended using Teflon tape. I never tried it (I was getting too disgusted with working on it at the time, now it's not my daily driver anymore, so I've become apathetic about the small amount that drips out).

Mike

Teflon tape is useless in flare fittings. It seals the threads only. In a flare fitting, the flare does the sealing.

I wouldn't even use it "for insurance," because bits of tape can peel off on installation and get into the fluid.

flare fittings get no tape. depending on what part of the country you leave in you could use a small amount of anti seize on the threads to prevent long term seizing, but personally I would not bother

Back