• Register Today It's free!

Code P0157

jgianettino

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer EB
My 2002 Explorer EB had a hard time starting the other day, just once, had cranked over a couple of times, Then it started ran fine all day, then my service engine light came on, pulled code P0157, Were is this sensor? there are many on the car. and is this the problem? My book said left bank OX sensor...Thanks. I cleared the code it has not come back yet, Was this why it had a hrad tome strating? is something going bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my wife just called, the service soon light come on again, the car is running fine, I assume it is the same code, I will check tonight, any thoughts?

Sure could be the Oxygen Sensor gone bad, which manifests itself in different ways (out of compliance emissions, poor idling, performance, driveability and/or MPG). But there could be other issues as well.

In a system with identical Ox sensors a quick troubleshooting technique is to swap them. If you get a code of the other bank then you've likely found the culprit.

How many miles are on the truck?

BTW, below are the Bosch part numbers. This may afford some relief if available at places like Napa or for cross-referencing to other brands....

46ExpOxSen.jpg

156K I was thinking about that, Ford says the two downstream are the same sensors, so if I switch them I should get a new code.. saying Bank 1 sensor 1,

156K I was thinking about that, Ford says the two downstream are the same sensors, so if I switch them I should get a new code.. saying Bank 1 sensor 1,

The Universal fit indicates the same sensor. However, the "Exact fit" OE sensor does not.

Universal sensors require one to splice the original connector (from the bad sensor) to the new sensor. So, while the Left and Right look to be the same sensor the connectors may not be (or they're wired differently).

The "Upstream" sensors look to both be the same as the Left Downstream sensor.

Go that? :)

Intresting, I will look tonight when she gets home, however Ford said the two front sensors are diffrent from the back sensors but both fronts are the same sensor as is the backs are both the same sensors--- so ther are only 2 types of sensors 2 each -- 4 wire connector regaurdless for all they say...

I should just replace them all, it is only 4 and with 156K mabey it is time... what do you think? Can not hurt!!!

I should just replace them all, it is only 4 and with 156K mabey it is time... what do you think? Can not hurt!!!

Well it can't hurt. Personally, if I were going this route, I'd price out the Bosch universal sensors. I have had very good results with them. They may be a bit more work but the savings can be substantial. BTW, if they're good enough for a Porsche 993 twin turbo, then they're good enough for our Explorers. :biggthump

Do you have a part number and WEB site info I can check them out, on the uni0ones, do I need to splice and crimp- or splice and use my same connector?

Also wife just called, service light went out, so I am thinking it is most likely the sensor? what do you think?

Also wife just called, service light went out, so I am thinking it is most likely the sensor? what do you think?

Can't determine the cause with this little info.

The part numbers are above on the chart I provided. Napa and others should be able to reference. The Bosch universal sensors come with their own splicing connector. It's well designed and relatively easy to use.

Back