• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer SportTruck

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
What do you guys think of something like this? I spent about 15 minutes in MS Paint making this, so it's a little ghetto, but you get the idea...

SportTruck.jpg

I was thinking one day when I'm done with school and have a little bit of time, I'd like to build something like this. I particularly like the design of the 01-05 Explorer Sport-Trac, as well as the 2001-2003 Explorer Sport, and thought it would look pretty cool as a single cab pickup.

I don't know much about the platform, but I know my 02 Sport is a Body-On-Frame, so I assume the SportTrack is the same. I'm under the impression that this is basically nothing more than a Ford Ranger? Would I be correct in assuming this?

I'd like to have a pickup, and rather like the styling of these vehicles. It would be cool to build one that had all the features of the Sport-Trac (sunroof, roll-down rear window, sport-trac interior, and an elongated Sport-Trac pickup bed.

I think it would be pretty cool. I can weld, so I don't assume it would be that big of a deal... the hardest part obviously would just be straightening out the panels, and I might have to tear up a Sport also to get the part forward of the wheel well... (or at least buy a patch panel... heh)

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

box is plastic and fiberglass (you would be enlongating the front of it - should be easy)

rear mounting points need to change for the cab, electrical shouldn't be too bad. Interior trim panels and plastics re-work. Not sure on the cab, but some of bodyparts are aluminium and fiberglass.

might want to look at the drivetrain also, I wouldn't want to spend time and money on looks, then have the transmission or engine fail.

just a big fab exercise, tons of labor and design. No return other than the "I did it factor"...if you have lots of time, and money.

box is plastic and fiberglass (you would be enlongating the front of it - should be easy)

rear mounting points need to change for the cab, electrical shouldn't be too bad. Interior trim panels and plastics re-work. Not sure on the cab, but some of bodyparts are aluminium and fiberglass.

might want to look at the drivetrain also, I wouldn't want to spend time and money on looks, then have the transmission or engine fail.

just a big fab exercise, tons of labor and design. No return other than the "I did it factor"...if you have lots of time, and money.

Well, sure... there's absolutely NOTHING logical about this. You could also argue that most car projects are completely illogical when it comes to fiscal and time management responsibility.

For me though, I've never really been into the "custom" look. I've always been more fascinated with modifying and upgrading cars in ways that LOOK stock.

For example, dropping an LS1 V8 into a Volvo S80 (because it comes from the factory with a 4T65E GM transmission and the V8 would drop right in), or things like that.

So this would be in that same vein... it would LOOK like something that came directly from the factory, and 95% of the people on the road would have NO idea... it probably wouldn't even stand out... except for Sport Track owners who would see it and maybe do a double take.

I really like the look of the Explorer Sport. That grill and the lines are really timeless... (I also REALLY like the look of the early 00s F250s).

So I think it would make a really cool looking pickup truck.

Although, I would figure that if I'm actually going to do this one day, I would probably go with a 4.6 and drivetrain from a normal Explorer. Not that I don't like the 4.0 SOHC, but the 4.6 SOHC is kind of cool...

http://yfrog.com/jbsporttruc2j

same idea, however i think the proportions are a little weird

Hah, that's kind of funny... they design is basically like an Isuzu Amigo. That actually wouldn't look so bad as long as it came with a canvas top. Although the vent windows become a little pointless...

why hack a sport trac to convert it in a ranger.....??????????
when you can go buy a ranger then custom fit the front end of sport trac you will save ton of money and labor time + it wont look akward....even if you custom fit all the interior youll still save money and time

dont want to be rude budd but have you ever chop and reweld a car or truck in half you sound like a teenagers who watches to many pimp my ride
because for the money youll put in this project you could probably buy a brand new f150 platinum is it worth it...... imo hell no + it really look out of proportion judging by your sketch but its your project so good luck with all the problem youll experience !

why hack a sport trac to convert it in a ranger.....??????????
when you can go buy a ranger then custom fit the front end of sport trac you will save ton of money and labor time + it wont look akward....even if you custom fit all the interior youll still save money and time

dont want to be rude budd but have you ever chop and reweld a car or truck in half you sound like a teenagers who watches to many pimp my ride
because for the money youll put in this project you could probably buy a brand new f150 platinum is it worth it...... imo hell no + it really look out of proportion judging by your sketch but its your project so good luck with all the problem youll experience !

Hah, no... I'm not a teenager. I'm 31, married with a kid, a mortgage and a 9 to 5 (although, that often turns into a 9 to 3 in the morning).

Most of the shows I watch are the ones on Spike and Speed.

I'm no Chip Foose or Coddington... haha... but I've been welding for about 7 years. I'm definitely no expert, but the proportions of the Sport Trac are the same from the B pillar to the C pillar, so there is little that I would need to do other than to ensure that the front of the cab is properly lined up with the back. I could bevel the edge of the metal and use clinkos to ensure that I have proper fitment. I actually have a spot welder too, so if I got lazy I could use that too.

I wouldn't want to use a ranger because I'd want to retain the retractable rear window. The Sport Trac really is a sporty looking design. I really wouldn't have a problem chopping up a sport trac because there's honestly so many of them on the road. It's one thing to chop up an old Bel Air, or a classic Mustang or something like that, but it really wouldn't be too expensive. It's not like I would be entering it into any kind of a show, it's just something I could build in my garage.

I own property in Lake Okeechobee, and part of the property is very sandy. I'm not a huge off-road guy and lack some experience driving on this stuff. The sand isn't compact though, so I can't seem to get anything to stick in it. I'd like to get a 4x4 (my sport isn't...) but I'd also like to have a bed because I'd like to do a lot of landscaping and planting up there.

I could always buy some old beat up pickup and fix it up with an LMC catalog, but I'd rather do something a little bit more unique (that doesn't look unique). I'm not into big rims or metallic paint or chrome plated hanging ball sacks off the trailer hitch.

I'm sort of tossing this around... I really like the look, want a pickup, but am not pleased with any of the other vehicles already out there.

You can see my past and present projects here:

http://www.PontiacPerformance.net

nothing too fascinating, but you can see where I've been and where I'm going. I certainly don't think it would be easy, but it wouldn't be that hard. Something a weekend warrior could do over a 2-year period in his garage.

EDIT: hah, this is the first car I ever "chopped" hahaha... I did it about 9 years ago:

78Caddy_during2_2_lrg.jpg

I wouldn't want to use a ranger because I'd want to retain the retractable rear window.

Guys, quick question... is the Ranger cab the same as the cab on the Sport Trac? I mean, would all the front-end sheet metal properly line up? Would the Sport Trac doors line up?

It might actually save me some time if all I need to do is fabricate panels for the side of the bed and maybe replace the top-half of the rear of the cab with the piece from the Sport Trac?

Guys, quick question... is the Ranger cab the same as the cab on the Sport Trac?
I don't know.

However I have had the idea for a 2 door Sport Trac for a few years now. Mainly because I love the styling but I want a shorter wheelbase for going offroad.

My idea is to shorten the body of the Sport Trac by removing 11-14" out of the rear part of the body and to drop it onto the frame of a regular 4 door 2nd generation Explorer. And preferably on to the frame of a 5.0L AWD drivetrain Explorer. :D Hmmmmm, which I just happen to own one. :p:

Here's photochop I did a couple of years ago of my truck...

Attachments

• shorter.sporttrac.jpg
    shorter.sporttrac.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,293

I don't know.

However I have had the idea for a 2 door Sport Trac for a few years now. Mainly because I love the styling but I want a shorter wheelbase for going offroad.

My idea is to shorten the body of the Sport Trac by removing 11-14" out of the rear part of the body and to drop it onto the frame of a regular 4 door 2nd generation Explorer. And preferably on to the frame of a 5.0L AWD drivetrain Explorer. :D Hmmmmm, which I just happen to own one. :p:

Here's photochop I did a couple of years ago of my truck...

lol you got midget rear door on your photochop hehe

nice layout if you just shaved handle and weld shut the rear door

Back