"Clunk" when 96 Xplorer Sport auto box engaged in D or R | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Clunk" when 96 Xplorer Sport auto box engaged in D or R

SA-Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Johannesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4.0L
What would be the most likely problem for the "clunk" that I here when I engage the tranny in D or R. It is a 96 Ford Xplorer Sport 4.0L OHV. THe clunk comes from under the SUV behind the drivers seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What would be the most likely problem for the "clunk" that I here when I engage the tranny in D or R. It is a 96 Ford Xplorer Sport 4.0L OHV. THe clunk comes from under the SUV behind the drivers seat?

Sounds like a universal joint to me

Clunk!

WHich would mean replacement? A simple procedure I hope?

A universal joint is the piece that allows your drive shaft to connect to the trans and rear end.

Looks like this (the piece in the middle is the part you replace)

universal-joint-381892.gif

Here is a page on how to replace one
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/U_joint/repair.htm

Here is a picture of how it connects to the rear end (or drive shaft or transfer case etc)

New_Drive_Shaft_05-27-01.jpg

Thanks Curtis you're a mensch. It seems quite simple. Circlip pliers and a new universal. I just need to find a replacement U-J here in South Africa.

Now I need to figure out why my 4x4 is not working, but thats for another thread.

Many thanks

RALPH

Back