• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer 4.0 Auto Trans ?

Homeracingworld

Reaction score
City, State
Dixon, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Forgive me is this has been covered, I am new and just getting my feet wet.

Just purchased a 1997 Exploder XLT.

summerexplode1.jpg

The girl we got it from said the transmission was "out of it".

We got it anyway and drove it away.

Been working fine until yesterday. As I was driving it sounded like it came out of gear and a loud whine with a slight clicking noise started.

I put it in neutral and back in drive. It re-engaged and got me home.

The fluid level is right...and good color.

Is this, or does this sound like a tranny issue or a transfer case adjustment?

Thanks for any help. Great forum BTW...already helped me with door handles and blower motor resistors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good call! May be transfer case shift motor improperly stopped, out of position.

Have you tried shifting to 4X4, to see if the shifter actually works? imp

No but I will try that. I am just learning about these things so I may have to take it in and have it checked.

Thanks!

It appears it is the transfer case. couple hundred bucks...I can deal with that :)

Now...to find another 4.0 motor for the other one :)

I have a 1997 Ford Exploere Sport, 220 k mi runs great. Small problem just came up...Tranny is strong no slipping on acceleration. When in a coast from about 45-50 mph this spinning sound comes from mid area. As soon as you touch the gas it goes away but does return unless you keep revving the gas a little until you come to a stop. Does it in neutral while in the coast as well. Does it in 4wd to and to add, the 4X4 light on the dash stopped coming on when turned to 4X4 either . Help me out, jim

Back