Urgent help! Water/Vapor coming out of hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Urgent help! Water/Vapor coming out of hose

Relix

Reaction score
City, State
PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT SOHC
Hey folks =). I have a problem with my 2000 Explorer. Just yesterday I saw vapor coming out from under the hood (thankfully I had enough time to get home when it started happening). I initially thought it was the water pipe that goes into the water pump.

QD73jl.jpg

That one in the center. I got a new hose and new rings to hold it tight. I took it for a ride today after fixing it and... still same problem. Upon closer inspection I am thinking its the hose below it.

vavevl.jpg

That one to the left of the green cable area. Thing is, when I follow the pipe, it goes to the inside so I am guessing it's part of the AC System. The strange thing is that water from the radiator is leaking there to the point it dried up the radiator.

Now my question is... why is water leaking from there? Does the AC use water from the radiator or something? The AC is working fine with the exception that hard acceleration makes the air come up the vent but I know that's a vacuum gone bad (thanks again ExplorerForums ;)). The thing is I need this fixed ASAP, but I am not sure how to proceed because I am confused if something is mixing up somewhere, if its in fact part of the AC (hot water/vapor comes from it so I don't think so..). Can anybody shed some light please? Thanks in advance.

Heater hose

I believe you are referring to the heater hose that connects to the thermostat housing. The photo below shows the two metal pipes that connect to the heater hoses in front of the firewall labeled ENG UPR and ENG LWR.
VacBlbCn.jpg

The photo below shows the thermostat housing.
ThrmHsg1.jpg

Be careful when working with anything connected to the plastic thermostat housing. It is very expensive.

Now my question is... why is water leaking from there
Like it was said, I think that is part of the cabin heating circuit. It has two hoses - one in, one out - thru the firewall.

Like it was said, I think that is part of the cabin heating circuit. It has two hoses - one in, one out - thru the firewall.

Yup exactly. They come from the firewall and go into the thermostat unit 2000StreetRod posted. Seems like a ring is a bit displaced or the hose split somewhere. I sure hope it isn't the actual unit broken somewhere. I will check tomorrow and post back the results then. Thanks a lot =)

Back