Water pump replacement.

redheadedrose

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer
My husband just replaced water pump on our 97
Ford Explorer, the next day noticed there was a leak...says it is coming from the lower radiator hose...he finally got it off...now cant seem to get the new one on. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
RedheadedRose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lower hose

Can you explain further as in he can get the new one on? is it the clamp or the hose itself. I recenlty replace my water pump and since I have the "spring-style" clamp, it was a pain to get it in place but i had no trouble getting the hose in the water pump.

My husband had to pry the hose off after he got the clamp off now there is a gap between where he needs to hook the hose on...actually this is my sons explorer and my husband has had to do alot of work on this vehicle and has become very frustrasted....so I am trying to help him out...:)...he replaced the water pump that took all day to do...then a day later it started leaking and he noticed it was coming from the lower hose on the water pump...he had a very dif###ult time getting that hose off and now the new one wont fit up right...any help would be appreciated!

Wrong post, sorry.

lubricant

He can try to spread some petrolium jelly of baby oil inside the hose and of the end of the radiator hose to slip in easily....

I didn't have problems when i replaced my waterp pump & radiator hoses, so good luck....

He may need to loosen the clamp on the top hose before fitting both the top and bottom together. Move the clamps back on the hose and then get top and bottom fitting and then put on the clamps. Should fit near perfectly if ****ed or a hard time fitting, something is not right.

Get a tool like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-radiator-hose-pick-96572.html
image_3620.jpg

I could have use that tool 10 days ago......

I know what she's talking about. I'm a couple hours away from having the same problem myself. I went to get some gas on the way to work this morning and when I came back from paying I noticed a good sized puddle of coolant. I can tell for sure that its a small split in my lower radiator hose. The reason its difficult to put on and take off is that the hose itself is only five or six inches long, but at least an inch on each end slips onto the water pump and that other pipe. Last time I replaced it was when I was replacing the water pump which made it a whole lot easier. Anyone have any tips or tricks for replacing just the hose itself without having to remove the water pump or anything? BTW, its a 97 V8.

Back