Custom Front-End renderings--MSPaint goodness inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Front-End renderings--MSPaint goodness inside

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Ok, so I took a picture of my sploder (that's an I voted sticker over the ford emblem)

a1.jpg

and I wanted to change up the front end a bit... maybe something a little more like a classic bronco

a4.png

Everything in it is to scale (I took meticulous measurements, and spent even longer resizing things), those are 7 inch round headlamps and a truck-lite oval 24 LED park/turn lamp.

But, I wanted to check out a different look, so I sized the headlamp down to 5 3/4 inch and moved the turn signal

a3.png

I don't know about that though..... I wanted to try it with the 7 inch and turn signal in the same configuration, but that would only fit if I deleted that strip between the headlights/grill and bumper. So, I did just that.

a2.png

I'm personally partial to the first and last.... the last looks best IMO, beefy and stuff.... anyways, these are some ideas for what the first gen should have looked like anyways. I welcome opinions and I apologize for the crude pictures, I only work in MSPaint.

I might try making one of these front end conversions sometime.... Anyways, enjoy, and by all means, give your opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

seriously.... 41 views and NO comments? My pics ain't THAT bad....

Pretty sweet idea.

Keep in mind they offer both billet and "square tube" metal grilles, so you could possibly just use one of those for the grille, even cutting out every other tube for a look closer to what you have there.

As for the headlights, replacing the plastic squares with 7" rounds will improve lighting dramatically, but my suggestion would be to use E-code lenses (Cibie/Bosch/Hella/etc. all make these), and a relay setup to use H4/9003 bulbs, giving even more of a drastic improvement, not to mention looking cooler than DOT fluted lenses.

Your biggest challenge would be coming up with a system to mount the lights, since you'd have to do a combo of hacking up the housings of a vehicle that used 7" rounds (easy enough to find), and either adhering them to the stock plastic housings, or fabricating your own metal version with some method of attachment. After that, the metal bezel to go over what's left would be easy.

I think the 24 LED lights are a little much, although they look great when positioned as in the first pic. I think you could go with a traditional Ford setup as in the last pic, with the lights under the headlamps, but use a light with a single (or maybe double) row of LEDs rather than a thicker one. You could also use just a smaller 2-4" circular LED, as long as it has enough output. That would take care of the space so you could still use the Explorer lip, and probably look cleaner, too. Also keep in mind you'd need an amber reflector on the side/corner to be legal.

Very doable, and would look cool, while being functional to improve the lighting. You could also paint the bumper black if going with a black grille and endcaps, or even go with a Navajo bumper for even more of a "retro-concept" truck look.

2012_ford_bronco.jpg

I've been trying to figure out what I would do for a bumper yet. For headlamps, I would probably eventually put in the valeo-sylvania xe7r HIDs. They are basically a 7" round HID headlamp conversion. They make a projector version too, but I like the look of the round. Though yeah, for now, my plan was to go with e-code 7" round headlamp conversions so I can use H3 bulbs. The headlight buckets from a heep or an older ford van or pickup look like they won't be TOO difficult to make a bracket to mount to the stock core support. Gotta knock the dust of my welder every now and then anyways. I'll need to hack a bigger hole in it anyways behind the lights to clearance for the Xe7rs. The bezel over the top I would probably do in fiberglass.

As for the turn signals, to go with LED signals, my options are fairly limited. The best offerings are from truck-lite, and they offer a 4" round signal or a 2.3 X 6.5 inch oval like I have pictured, or rectangle ones. The only way to use the 4" round signals would be to mount them in the bumper or use a 5.75" headlight and still remove the lip between the bumper and grill/headlights. It is kind of hard finding LED signals any smaller than that, because of the low output of LEDs. I could put in a smaller signal made for incandescent bulbs and use a LED bulb replacement.... but I would rather go with real LED signals since they are fairly inexpensive and the light output is best. Yeah, I remember the side reflector as well. I was probably gonna go with a 2" round reflectorized 4 LED light that truck-lite offers. More lights = more visibility, and I have always been a fan of high visibility.

Personally, I was leaning towards the last pic... I like the classic ford truck/van arrangement best anyways, and that I think would give it the most modern look while keeping the retro style.

I've seen that Bronco concept before somewhere....

MS Paint: Anything is possible.

I like the last one. a lot.

MS Paint: Anything is possible.

I like the last one. a lot.

Thanks.

After a suggestion from my ex-wife, I also did one with 6" round foglights mounted in the grill.

a8.png

Seems like a bit much to me... but, idk, it is growing on me.

The 2nd paint picture is my vote.

I think having that little strip of the rest of the body color between the grill and bumper makes the grill stand out more.

I'm gonna repaint the rest of the body sometime. The only thing I don't like about using the 5.75" headlamps is it is harder to find buckets that fit easy. a 73 ford truck headlamp bucket would mount easily with just a small spacer and work perfect for what I am doing, but that is a 7" round headlight, so that is really a tempting thing. Even still, eventually that strip would come out in favor of a custom bumper to match the rest of the front.

Nice paint work, but IMHO round headlights don't look right.

There's always the 200mm rectangular ones too...

nah, not a fan of rectangle headlights. Besides, if I wanted rectangle headlights, the truck already has them.

My favorite is the second pic with the turn signals under the headlight. the turn signals in the grille look crowded and out of place. the fog lights in the grille look even worse.

have you considered a custom bumper, with the turn signals in the bumper? you could put fog lights in the bumper as well.

i've got a bit of a crude version of what you've done going on with my explorer... although i just did it because it didn't have a front end when i got it, and this seemed pretty practical and relatively easy. heres a pic

257712341_photobucket_18184_.jpg

another thought, which may be a bit difficult, but would look awesome nonetheless, would be if you built a ring which fit around the headlights, that ring would have a "super bright" amber LED every half inch or so. that would be a sweet blinker.

Thats some pretty handy work for MSPaint. My vote is #2 (w/the turn signals in the grill)

look alost like an older chevy/2011 explorer

nah, not a fan of rectangle headlights. Besides, if I wanted rectangle headlights, the truck already has them.

looks like a cartton car of an old chevy . ford got it right in 91 ,and im a fan of the 2011 ,unibody is here to stay and it has its weaknesses off road but u cant deny that ford hit a home run for an explorer for the street ,if we are gonna off road thats what the first and 2nd gen are for so in my perfect world ,i would have a new 2011 explorer ,a 2010 adrenaline and an 01 model to build into fun off roader and if u scratch it , who cars

Actually, as an update. Someone should be shipping me the German-spec headlights for an Explorer that use the 200mm rectangular bulbs.....

I haven't been able to make a headlight bezel that I really was in love with, and, my father wanted the rectangular ones for his Explorer anyways, so I figured I would get some.

Right now, I don't have a lot of time to work on this kinda thing, since I spent most of my summer working on other people's vehicles, so I figure I will see what I feel like about the German headlights.

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to share that I did a round headlight conversion and I think it looks great. I am going to be 3D printing new bezels and may even print an entire kit if there is any interest from others in doing a conversion. Here are some pics.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e4.jpg
e5.jpg
e6.jpg

Damn, @John Garner, that looks great!
I think for your second post, you need to do a write up on your Sport, with more pics, please!

I'll second that! More info please! Are you lifted or is that from the bendpak hoist under it?

While I am a rectangular/square headlight kinda guy (even my fogs are rectangular!! heh), I do like custom jobs. It looks like you've modified your grill piece too, but I can't quite tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great John Garner! Almost like a Range Rover classic.

Back