Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build

im far enough in this to not turn back, so ill start this thread now.

starting with a truck that hasent been driven in 2 years before i got it. so its really dirty, ticks, needs some help.
im going for a mild top end rebuild. just a nice cleaning and new parts, upgraded performance parts. with a nice coat of paint to finish it up.
update: turned into full rebuild

parts list:
  • 2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
  • 2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)
  • SP432 MOTORCRAFT - spark plugs (autozone)
  • WR4062 MOTORCRAFT - plug wire set (rockauto)
  • KS2358 FELPRO - full gasket set (autozone)
  • PR422 DNJ/ROCK ENGINE - pistion ring set (rockauto)
  • m328 MELLING - high flow oil pump (summitracing)
  • 432217 VISTA-PRO - ready rad radiator (summitracing)
  • E71531 DAYCO - upper radiator hose (autozone)
  • B71532 DAYCO - lower radiator hose (autozone)
  • 200-87684 DAYCO - heater-to-thermostat hose (autozone)
  • 200-87715 DAYCO - heater-to-water pump hose (autozone)
  • 58390 A-1 CARDONE - reman waterpump, they sent a 97tm (rockauto)
  • 300-942 DORMAN - water pump pulley (rockauto)
  • 300-004 DORMAN - power steering pulley (autozone)
  • 49237 GOODYEAR - belt tensioner (rockauto)
  • 5968 HAYDEN AUTOMOTIVE - idler pulley (rockauto)
  • 49-410-8 COMP CAMS - camshaft (summitracing)
  • R1092 SEALED POWER - rocker arms (rockauto)
  • VS1630 SEALED POWER - valve springs (rockauto)
  • sev-2027 SI VALVES - exhaust valves (sivalves.com)
  • sev-2028 SI VALVES - intake valves (sivalves.com)
  • UP94172S ULTRAPOWER - timing chain kit (rockauto)
  • 25053 CRANKSHAFT SUPPLY - reman crankshaft with bearings (rockauto)
  • 70mm 94/95 Mustang GT Cobra 19/24lb MAF (ebay)
  • ebay link - 90tm/93tm cylinder heads
  • ebay link - matched set of injectors
  • EF link - modded stock throttle body
  • GM3115200 chevrolet HHR electric fan from EF member
  • FAN-PWN-V3 SPAL fan controller from EF member
  • 1633S-1 JBA - headers and y-pipe used from EF member

later upgrades: 200amp alternator, underdrive/overdrive pulleys. maybe other stuff as i get ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They wont be able to cut it,with the motor in.ill bring a grinder!! Its up too you.i just know I wont be doing a motor swap in the rain!! And i sure dont wanna rush through the build just because you wanna have it in the truck!! Im good just not that good,need more than 4 hours to build and install a motor!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

if you think you can get it thatd be great. i dont care about saving the y-pipe just need the cat. if i had the new high flow cat already id destroy that too.

i understand about the rain. building it wed be inside but putting it in is the prob lol
just makin sure. if you can get here early enough to do it, ill take the whole day off

o it will be built on monday no prob,just putting it in on wed is what cant happen.i say take the day off as bad as i want to try and do it all in one day it looks like the only way we can.yea ill get those bolts out,if we gota pull the whole thing!!its cut off right after the cats anyways right?looks like a challenge has been set!!!how long does it take to fully build and install a 4.0 ohv!!!wanna get greedy and build,install and have running in 6 hours!!!hahha:D:rolleyes:can it be done:dunno:

so all day monday and no wednesday? ill tell my half-boss the change then.
yes i had an illegal setup. i had no muffler or tailpipe. the pipe between the cat and muffler was still there, dumped under the truck. that pipe is off now tho. all that left is the cat and half of the drivers pipe and the passenger pipe(one giving me problems cutting off)

ummm. we can time it and everything, but it wont be running tomorrow. still gotta measure for pushrods and get them ordered!
i still need to go buy oil, tranny oil, ps oil and coolant

O i was totally joking !! Yea say around 9ish!!

well i guess if i already knew the size and had them, and the fluids it prob could be running tomorrow lol

the only thing i can think of, remember the lifters!
i found that retaining clip for the valves. i got VERY lucky in finding that lol. im amazed i found that but i cant find a tranny bolt thats 50x bigger lol :/

guess ill see you around 9 then! :D

Make that 10ish if ur running on spring time,im still on fall time!!;) im packn up now should be over in a bit!!

Yea so am i,watchn scoobydoo!!! I got it all,should need much batties as its all hand work

well. progress but not complete or done.
in order of problems: forgot piston bearings on #2 i think, piston #1 was backwards, pulled #1,#2,#4,#5 back out to see why we had an extra piston ring, and it was an extra. oil pan gasket in the kit was completely wrong, went to the only store that had one in stock and got lunch. went to put the lower intake on and the rtv had turned solid in the tube, had to go get more. didnt have enough rtv to finish the intake or start the water pump and had to go get more. crank bolt decided to destroy itself once the pulley was on, went on fine before that. i said the fuel rail looked like it was on backwards, 10min into looking at the rockers jd said it is backwards. and thats all i can remember, it was a long day.

pictures
DSC_2203.jpg

DSC_2204.jpg

DSC_2207.jpg

brandon sabotaged the invisible valve covers. he supermaned them to tight and made an oil leak!
DSC_2208.jpg

i also blame brandon for the destroyed crank bolt
DSC_2209.jpg

so through all this crap the checklist is as follows:
smith bros 5.525" pushrods, ps pulley put on, ps put on, alternator on, upper intake on, valve covers on, new crank bolt, trim fan to fit, get cat out, get oil, tranny, coolant, ps fluid.

In my defense,somebody shouldnt have stayed out so later especially after only having 7hours of sleep for the two days before,so im dead tired and loopy!! The pistons where sooo carbonated that you couldnt see the arrow and most have notches for direction. The cap wasnt on the rod yet so the bearing dint count!! Also you forgot that it took me an hour to remember i had the darn dremel!! The fuel rail i thought you was talking about its upside down not backwards,that why i said it couldnt be because the injector would be sticking up in the air. And last idk wtf was wrong with that bolt,went in fine twice then when we went to pull in out to put on thread lock,it was destroyed, its tty so something to do with that!idk!!

All and all we wasted a good 3to 4 hours on dumb stuff and not to mention WE WAS MOVEN LIKE TWO TURTLES IN PEANUT BUTTER! !!!!!;)zz

yea cleaning 4 pistions by hand and then remembering the dremel lol
i keep forgetting to memtion something, but i cant remmeber it

ronin, either im retarded or im just retarded for other reasons. it wont let me seach without putting in a vehicle first, but if i put that in and seach, nothing. what did you put in?

nvm. found it! it wouldnt let me seach the part #, but i found it under bolt lol

$28, is there any vendors on here that have it cheaper?

jd, do you mind answering the questions on the smith bros order form and posting here? theres questions i have no idea about, one of them says 'Name' and i have no idea lol

nvm. found it! it wouldnt let me seach the part #, but i found it under bolt lol

$28, is there any vendors on here that have it cheaper?
Just call them

jd, do you mind answering the questions on the smith bros order form and posting here? theres questions i have no idea about, one of them says 'Name' and i have no idea lol
Just call them

beach ford has them in stock for $7.84 part #e7ry6a340b

Back