Sport97's sport | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back from vacation. Testing out the ultragauge...first impression is not good. It does not power up everytime the car starts, seems to take 2 or 3 tries. Also it reads the temps and stuff, but i just get 0 on mph, mpg, and distance type gauges. Also i get 0.000 on the o2 stats, i picked bank 1, o2 1 and bank 2, o2 1. Not sure if its user error, explorer compatibility or a garbage unit.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That sucks...don't know anything about them to help ya out...

Ultragauge works fine in my parents Oldsmobile. U.G said in an email to me if it works on other pre-2005 fords, or pre-2007 GMs its my car at fault... I find it hard to believe the computer or OBD port is faulty... Not very pleased so far. I just have to decide if I want to return it for a replacement, or try and get money back(it says "less shipping and handling" but they can bite me, I will demand that money back, plus a paid shipping sticker for the return. They are not screwing me over on this)

Ultragauge is returned due to it not working. I did get to use it once to read/clear a CEL on my girlfriends car, so at least I got some use.:rolleyes:

Starting recently my car has been bogging down pretty bad several times. Usually at red lights. When I pull out it can't get out of its own way. Cars go around me. It doesn't sputter or shake, Its almost like it kickdown into 1st when it stopped. The power returns all the sudden, almost like a downshift. Hope the transmission is not pooping out. In other news I did stall it in the parking lot on Saturday. It randomly does this when going from R to D, sometimes from P to R as well. Probably time for a tune-up and take it from there.

I was out getting my fingerprints done(education major, required because I am in schools for observations, and I work at the middle school) and I saw this guy. I parked further away from the store to be with the brethren. Looks to be a 98 with TT/shackles, and 31"s. The wheels stick pretty far out due to the backspacing, I like it. I like the light bar he has too. Maybe I'll make one.

SSPX1586.jpg

Few pics from the last venture off the pavement. A little bit of flexing, not to bad with the sway bar in still. You can see the frame twisting by looking at the bumper gap.

flex2.jpg

flex.jpg

water.jpg

I regreased the balljoints today. Glad I did so, they were needing it badly. Both lower fittings were clogged with mud and metal shavings, so I had to take them out and clean them out before I could get grease in.

Ordered 6 motorcraft plugs, and a set of motorcraft wires. 59 bucks to my door. Thank you RockAuto. Advance wanted 97 bucks.

Did a full exterior detail today. Started the wash with Meg's car shampoo. Next i went with the Meg's clay bar kit. Next was the Meg's ultimate compound. I finished the paint off with Meg's NXT 2.0 wax. For the tires I used Westley's tire bleach, and Meg's tire shine. On the rims I used Turtle Wax chrome polish. Rain X was then applied to the windows. She is shining like a mirror. My dog even came out to keep me company.

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 351
  • kel.jpg
    kel.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 346
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 346
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 346

Came up a treat mate, love the smell of meg's nxt 2.0. They should make it into a deodorant!

Came up a treat mate, love the smell of meg's nxt 2.0. They should make it into a deodorant!

Thanks Greg. Oh yea, its a good smell! I also determined that "ultimate compound" smells like cinnamon.

Did some yard work with the explorer. Dragging some stumps to the fire pit. Had a hard time getting moving. Its all sandy and loose down by the river. I should have aired down the tires but once I got it between the trees and moving I was good.

My dad rehooking the strap after it came off:

Attachments

• stump drag.jpg
    stump drag.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 339

I use to put my Explorer's to work doing stuff like that, nice to see ya using it.

So close to an accident today. I was shaking after it. I pulled out onto the road. I will say I pulled out rather briskly as a dump truck was coming, and about 30 yards up the road an equinox decided to pull out RIGHT as I was passing by him, causing me to slam the brakes and horn and jerk the wheel and shoot a tight gap between him and the oncoming truck(fairly tight, luckily he saw what was going on and scooted to the shoulder quickly) while sliding on the wet pavement. Good thing I have new shocks, I guarantee with my old shocks I would have rolled over into the oncoming lane with the maneuver I made... Way to close for comfort...

My brakes are starting to squeak. So i decided to do a visual inspection with the wheels still on. While checking I noticed my front tires are wearing badly on the outsides. Its a noticeable wear. Maybe my alignment was garbage because the torsion settled? I put 25 or so miles on prior to the alignment... None the less I am not pleased so I am going to get it realigned and rotate the tires to avoid further destruction of brand new tires...

Semi productive day. I got the alignment taken care of. It was out of spec, and they redid it for free. Tire shop also rebalanced my tire for free(dont think they ever did this tire) and broke my lugs free(they cranked them so tight I cracked my lug wrench...) Rotated the tires, cleaned the brakes and cleaned up some rust.

Mechanic said he would throw my plugs and wires on for 40 bucks as long as the plugs come out. Can't beat that, I got the motorcraft plugs and wires for 60 bucks. So 100 total is a good deal. Need to find time to drop it off. For 40 bucks its not worth my own time/busted knuckles to do it myself.

New sticker added. Next paycheck I need to get an explorer forum sticker.
(Sorry for the small picture. My phone memory card is full, so it decreases the size/quality to fit a few more on)

I also finally reattached the drivers side rocker trim.

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 288

Looks good, not too big not too small. :thumbsup::)

Ive been bouncing around the idea of wheel spacers(finding a used set). I've read there can be issues with them though. I wish I had the money to pick up a new set of wheels. As of now I have minor rubbing on the sway bar.

My concern with either is that a wider back spacing will give me clearance issues with the back of my fender. It is fairly close right now. I think pushing the wheel out may make it hit when I turn. I can still trim a little bit out.

not sure what to tell ya....when I had my sway bar on I didn't have that issue....

Its very minor, but the sway bar is shiny so i know it is rubbing. I can't tell when I drive, so its nothing to worry about really.

Back