• Register Today It's free!

93 ranger

kidd666

Reaction score
City, State
reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
Ok so I've been looking around for a work truck and i might get a 93 ranger. its got a 4.0l v6 like my x does, but i was wondering if there are any problems these trucks might have? Don't have much info on the truck but will post pic tomorrow. I know the gas gauge doesnt work, drivers side door lock is f#$^ked. someone had put a screwdriver in it to steal the radio:dunno:. its an ext cab and 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just the same problems as a 1st gen Ex, trans if it's an automatic, slave if it's a manual, etc.
Mine's a 93 too, and going strong at 300,000.

its got a standart tranny. how hard is it to replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge in the tank?
and heres the pic i got of it.
WP_000228.jpg

i would love to make it look like this but probably not gonna happen.
orange_ranger-medium.jpg

its got a standart tranny. how hard is it to replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge in the tank?
and heres the pic i got of it.

The bed will have to come off to get access to the top of the tank where the sending unit/pump is.

Wow, There still exists a Ranger STX that someone hasn't pulled those gaudy factory purple/pink & blue vinyl decals off of it. :eek:

Not really a whole lot to see about the truck in that pic, but it certainly looks good enough to warrant further investigation (engine doesn't appear to have been pressure washed either, which is actually a good thing, you can see things like leaks, etc. easier), headlights aren't too overly cloudy, should be easier to clear them up with some plastic polish.

That camper shell looks like it might be nearing time for the scrap heap though.

To replace the fuel sender you have to either pull the bed off, or drop the fuel tank. Pulling the bed is a little easier if you can get a helper to help you.

Edit: too slow on pulling the bed off lol

engines not leaking to my knoledge. its one of my dads coworkers trucks so hes being honest about everything wrong with it. unfortunetly i have to keep the shell on it as im going to be carring a ladder around. all in all the truck looks to be in good shape. if i get it those stripes are deffinently coming off they are hidious. i like the fact that there was no factory A/C either cant stand how much room it takes up in the engine compartment.

No A/C would be a deal breaker for me. That is a must-have during the summer down here in So Cal. :eek:

Replace all the fluids when you get it (engine, trans, t-case, rear axle, coolant, power steering, flush the brake & clutch hydraulic systems out, also check the front diff oil), maybe give it a tune-up, repack the front wheel bearings, etc., and I suspect you'll get some good service out of it. :thumbsup:

One thing you want to make sure though, always use the regular Mercon ATF fluid that was originally called for in the M5OD trans (called "Dex/Merc" nowadays). The newer Mercon V stuff seems to make many of the older M5ODs shift a lot harder even though Ford one day just up and decided that it's now supposed to be backward-compatible. Once it sees Merc V, it might never be the same again (my buddy had this happen to his right after taking it to a quick-lube place).
Merc V is OK to put in the t-case however.

Back