• Register Today It's free!

buying 99 ranger 4x4

andyway99

Reaction score
City, State
Thunder Bay Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ranger
Hey I'm considering buying a 99 ranger ext cab 4x4 with a 4.0l anyone have comments, with theirs, any weak points, common failures, i heard the vacuum locking hubs kind of suck. anyone???
andyway_99@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome To The Forum! The Vacuum hubs do fail at one point or another. Does this truck have the OHV 4.0 or SOHC 4.0?

ranger 4x4

I havent really started looking, Actually I didn't even know there is two different engines, which ones better. the ranger I drive now is a 92 regular cab 2wd with a 2.3l 5spd, with a full posi rear. its been a good truck, but i live in Ontario and we just got dumped on ... 3 feet of snow, getting kind of sick of the 2wd its actually my 1st 2wd. Also the comments on my truck are getting old.

Andy

Hi,
I've got 4.0 OHV and your same truck w/stepside. I've owned since 80k (now 120k) and only problems to date are consistent 0171 & 0174 codes with CEL (You'll find that the 4.0 SOHC engine has same problems and is famous for a recall for intake o-rings and a tensioner). Did just replace both hub assemblies in my truck at 120k, but that's normal. Good Luck!!

Yeah I hear ya, 2wd does suck in deep snow. The rangers came with either 2.3 4X4 til I think 98, or the 3.0 or 4.0 OHV and 4.0 SOHC. I like the the OHV motor but wouldn't mind having the SOHC motor more horses under the hood but they did have the timing chain tensioner recall which I would think more than likely woulda been taken care of by now in any pre-owned truck but ya never know, if you look at one with the SOHC motor you will want to ask about that. I think in 99 the rangers started coming with a LIVE front axle which means it don't have hubs that engage or dis-engage, the front axle is constantly turning whether the 4X4 is in or not.

...welcome here ...:D

Back