Digital Dash Swap? | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Digital Dash Swap?

Snot's in a better place now. If it makes you feel any better, I did give away all my extra parts and most of the plastic pieces off the body. Plus Snot had really bad cancer.

All Trucks Go To Heaven?

That does make me feel better though. At least it went out in a blaze of glory. Hope you kicked azz in the race.

Back on topic, I am going to check if there's fuel flow output on pin 31 later today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking on adding the stock connectors to it, so you can swap dashs out if need be. Just gotta build a new little harness and what not for everything to snap in. I know there will be some wiring and what not, but might make it easier to install. But I have forgotten how little room is in there.

IIRC, there is output on pin 31...I just can't remember what the signal difference was between the X and the Cougar, if there was one. There was something to do with the fuel signals that was different...Like I said, I just can't remember what it was.

I did not too bad in the demo. There was no money just bragging rights. General Scrap came out with a couple flat decks and took the dead. After a day of fun I had $200 in my pocket from them.

I was thinking on adding the stock connectors to it, so you can swap dashs out if need be. Just gotta build a new little harness and what not for everything to snap in. I know there will be some wiring and what not, but might make it easier to install. But I have forgotten how little room is in there.

I made all my connections to the existing plastic/copper mat thing. For the additional wires, I just clipped a small harness from a junkyard car and modded it for the additional wires from the PCM to the cluster. Not a big deal. I left a little slack on those wires so I could unplug it after the cluster was pulled forward.

IIRC, there is output on pin 31...I just can't remember what the signal difference was between the X and the Cougar, if there was one. There was something to do with the fuel signals that was different...Like I said, I just can't remember what it was.QUOTE]

PIN 31 on the 94 pcm's are empty, not used at all

PIN 31 on the 94 pcm's are empty, not used at all

But yesterday you posted in the TripMinder thread -

NICE59FORDF100 said:
guys...this is a dumb suggestion...but try hooking it into pin 31 on the 94 pcms...i have a hunch about something, and wanna see if it the instant MPG will work on 31 instead of 34...

Did you already check pin 31?

I was just reading the earlier part of this thread and it appears it was pin #34 we were using & talking about...It's hard to remember...this thread has been dead for almost a year.

NICE59, remember this? From what I remember, this worked, but sometimes i have the memory retention of a bag of rocks.

awesomepinout.jpg

I do remember this, and for 93- years, pin 34 is the one to use. however, based off the Tripminder install thread, i do believe 94's will have the fuel flow output on pin 31, based on a hunch with ford pcm pin outs in the 94 model year (they were having issues with pin 34 being dead)

I can't remember what pin it was for sure and my reference has been crushed/shredded long ago...sorry. I did have fuel flow pulse though.

I just hooked up my TripMinder's fuel flow input to pin 31 and drove around for a few minutes. No change from when using pin 34, sorry. Unless I am truly averaging 200+ miles per gallon.

This is on a 1994, PCM code UMP1.

200+ MILES PER GALLON!!! TAKE THAT BIG OIL!!! Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you. I'm still going to follow this but I will not be that much help anymore...Go on without me. Save yourselves!

200+ MILES PER GALLON!!! TAKE THAT BIG OIL!!!

Heck yeah! The Turbonator intake swirler and Fuel Doctor electricity conditioner I put on helped, but it wasn't until I added the electric supercharger that my mileage and power really perked up! I just raced a 2013 Shelby GT500 and won so hard! :D

But in all seriousness, why do hills have to be so steep?

Well, ok, it was just a hunch anyway. reason being that in 95 explorers (60 pin PCMs) the DOL (Fuel Flow) was moved to pin 31 on the pcm, so i was thinking that the 94's were a early changeover to that...well, back to the drawing board...

It must be in the PCM revision # then. IDK what mine was, but I had a signal from the PCM, I just can't remember which pin it was. I don't know how accurate it was, but I wasn't getting ridiculous numbers (200+ MPG). Furthermore, I was the umpteenth owner, so maybe my PCM was out of an earlier model. I know the motor had been swapped out...

It just doesnt make sense why ford would delete that out of only the 94 pcms in explorers. 94 aerostars had pin 34 active. And by 94, ford knew it was putting message centers in explorers for 95 (hence why I was thinking pin 31 might work). 94's are pinned differently, and the pcm makes the fuel flow calculations based off several things...so im wondering now if the 94 pcms need another type of input to 'turn on' the DOL

Is pin #34 active in 94 rangers?

Looking at 94 Ranger PCM pinouts, I see some differences - both list 34 as not used (which doesn't mean it doesn't work) but stuff is shifted around. For instance, pin 31 is Canister Purge Solenoid on a 49-state model, but on a California model 31 is not used and the purge solenoid is on pin 11, just like the 94 Explorer. Pin 33 on a 94 Explorer is EGR vac regulator solenoid, but on a Ranger only the California version has the same solenoid on 33 - a 49-state model does not use that pin.

So what I'm saying is, it appears between a 94 Ranger and a 94 Explorer there would be a lot of pin differences so it wouldn't be a straight swap even if pin 34 was active as fuel flow. Perhaps the California emissions PCM from a 94 Ranger might be more easily adaptable to a 94 Explorer but there may still be differences preventing an easy swap.

Auto manufactures a f**ked. Rangers and Explorers are basically the same. Why would they complicate things. No need to answer, it's rhetorical. I was able to get fuel flow signal. That's why I find this weird.

So maybe you guys know this already but I was wondering what the actual signal was. I don't have the oscilloscope that would make this easier to simply look at pins for, but here it is:

The Data Output Link (DOL) provides a communication line between the EEC and
the vehicle dashboard computer, Tripminder, for the transfer of fuel
consumption information. The fuel flow information sent by the EEC is used
for computation of instantaneous and average fuel economy, which is then
displayed to the driver.
The Tripminder requires an appropriate integer number of pulses within 100
msec period. Therefore, within each background loop or each 100 msec period,
whichever is shorter, the EEC sums the fuel flow and through the injectors
output since the summing period started, converts this sum into DOL pulses,
and outputs these pulses at a maximum frequency of 500 Hz during the
following summation period.
The fuel flow is converted into DOL pulses according to the following
equation:
DOL_COUNT = INTEGER (FUEL_SUM * 7804.19 * INJOUT) + DOL_COUNT
The FUEL_SUM is then reduced by the amount converted into DOL_COUNTS (One
DOL_COUNT = 1.282E-4 lbm).
where,
DOL_COUNT = Number of pulses to be output beginning
in the next summation period. One
DOL_COUNT = 1.282E-4 lbm.
FUEL_SUM = Sum of fuel flow per injector, which was
initiated since last summation period. It is
updated during the Fuel PW output routine.
7804.19 = (48000 pulses/gal)/6.15 lbm/gal, pulses/lmb.
INJOUT = Number of injectors per output port.
(See Fuel Strategy)
14-2 DATA OUTPUT LINK - GXK0
PEDD-PTOPE, FoMoCo, PROPRIETARY & CONFIDENTIAL
FUEL_SUM = FUEL_SUM + LBMF_INJn
LBMF_INJn = Fuel Flow per injector, calculated from
FUELFLOWn (n= 1, 2). (See Fuel Strategy).
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
| | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | |
FUELPW ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ------
|<-- 1 BACKGROUND LOOP -->|----
|| |
|| |
DOL | |
OUTPUT --------------------------- ------------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back