1997 Mountaineer speedometer correction??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mountaineer speedometer correction???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, according to some gear calculators I used from Tbars4 thread it looks like I currently have a 8 tooth drive gear. If I go with a 7 tooth gear a 19 tooth driven gear would be about right.

Guess I better go look for a 7/19 set of gears!

Ugh! I have not been able to find any other information on this site about the drive gear.

Here is a place that might be able to help me tomorrow: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...placements_and_parts/transfer_case_parts.html

In the meantime I need to know how the drive gear is held in. It looks like it is a larger version of the same type of clip that holds the driven gear on to the sensor. I think the driven gear is #54and the retaining clip is #55 in this 4406 exploded diagram:

bw4406p2_large.jpg

Does anyone know the exact application that my 4406 would have come from? I am assuming that it is a 1997 F150 manual trans, manual shift T-case.

I am assuming this because it is a manual shift T-case and it has the gear driven speed sensor in the output shaft housing, not the tone ring.

I ask because the guy at drivetrain.com did not have a non-tone ring application in his book so he is researching it a bit. Just thought I'd help by finding the exact application.

Well I am not having allot of luck trying to find the optional 7 tooth drive gear. The one I have looks as if it is the same color and same 8 tooth count as this one:
bbspeedo.jpg

Any help in sourcing a 7 tooth version would be appreciated.

Back