air box mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

air box mod

dcaput53

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ford explorer limited
Hey guys. I did the generic air box mod of drilling holes in the bottom of the air ox for more air. Will this make MPG worse or better (obv small difference) but my MPG went from 16 to 15.4. Idk if its the mod or the switch to winter blend fuel. I also did disconnect the battery after doing this to reset everything. Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys. I did the generic air box mod of drilling holes in the bottom of the air ox for more air. Will this make MPG worse or better (obv small difference) but my MPG went from 16 to 15.4. Idk if its the mod or the switch to winter blend fuel. I also did disconnect the battery after doing this to reset everything. Thanks for the help!

A lot of variables to be honest. One thing though, are you driving like you did before or are you going a little harder on the throttle now?

I recently put on a K&N CAI intake and it's very hard to not want to rev it. The CAI sounds SWEEEET when you go WOT!!! Gas mileage appears to be up by around .3-.5 mpg, but there's been a lot of traffic changes(worse driving now) and of course as mentioned, I'm holding the loud pedal down a lot:thumbsup:

I really didn't think I was. I did at first but not so much anymore. Especially to drop almost a full MPG. I went a mile down the road and back and lost .1mpg. I didn't go over 35 MPH.....

I really didn't think I was. I did at first but not so much anymore. Especially to drop almost a full MPG. I went a mile down the road and back and lost .1mpg. I didn't go over 35 MPH.....

Just give it more time and then report back. Also, I don't go by what the instant mileage says because it's been either on the money or far off. I just fill up and divide by miles driven to get my real world mileage.

Do you think Bkz I disconnected my battery it just reset my MPG? Thus making it jump around right now ?

Do you think Bkz I disconnected my battery it just reset my MPG? Thus making it jump around right now ?

Dont use the MPG estimation it gives you in the message center. That thing is way off. It says im getting 11 miles to the gallon but my last fill up i ran 403 miles through it. 403 divided by 11 doesnt add up. But you could try cleaning you MAF off and throwing a new filter at it.

What does the air box mod actually do?

Sound effects, more crap on your filter, and unnecessary use of throttle.

and the additional small increase in MPG. if you want to see a big increase build up a stage 3 intake and a get a tuner. I get in the 20's for mpg. usually run 400 miles a tank.

Its a cheap way of getting more air without buying a cai. Not really more.crap on the filter.... and I'm pretty sure when I reset the system it just reset my MPG that's all

Sound effects, more crap on your filter, and unnecessary use of throttle.

IMO the stock airbox on a Gen 3 isn't very restrictive anyway.

It mounts directly up to the back.of the headlight... u literally have no air flow kz the light blocks it...

I did the mod on a 2004 4.6L. with 3:73LS. I did not do as aggressive mod as some, All I did was cut 2,2" holes in the box and installed a new Fram filter. ( I even left the air diverter in the box )

I went from 16.6MPG, to 14.6MPG, to 8MPG :(

I did disconnect the battery for 20 min , and all tho I was romping on it from the 16 to 14 drop, I was behaving myself on the 14 to 8 drop. I calculated the MPG by filling up the tank until the pump clicks off and then dividing the miles driven.

Am I missing something here ? or does everybody see a drop in MPG with this MOD ?

Just get a CAI or build your own. Not that hard or pricey.

I trust Ford engineers more than guys on forums in most instances. This is one of them.

I usually trust Ford engineers over aftermarket company engineers as well. For air delivery on a stock engine, this is one of them as well.

well either way, this shouldnt decrease mpg at all. its a generic cai and thats it. Thats all i wanted to know was if anyone else dropped there mpg. mines around 15 now and i think thats because of the switch to winter blend fuel also.

CIA=Cold air intake

CIA=Cold air intake

^This

Here is my K&N CAI on my '02:

IMAG0752.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading this I am wondering if I got the one in a million....my 03 explorer has about 137, 000 miles and I did the air box mod with a stepped bit. Got 18.5 to 20.5 depending on my right foot.....did the mod and get about the same....now its 19.0 to 20.5. But I got little better highway drivability.

Back