• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 93 explorer on friday

pathwayus

Reaction score
City, State
wnc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Blue Explorer
I was on here a few years ago with my 2nd explorer ended up selling it. After looking around for a few months I ran across a white 5 speed four door with 136000 the only down side to it is 2 wheel drive. With that being side this will be my 3rd 1gen explorer am a sucker for the first gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing wrong with 2wd. After having 3 other X's all 4wd, I can say my current 2wd is lighter & easier to work on. It also handles better. Didn't use the 4wd much where I live.

that is one thing that is true when i took it for a test drive it had more getting up go then my other two but it they where both autos

Update picked the explorer up yesterday and put around 250 miles give or take a few. It going to need some new plug wires has a miss at low rpm around 1,000 to 1500. This happen when you let off the gas then get back on it. The only thing that isn't working is the cruise control not sure if there a bad fuse or what didn't come with a book so if anyone has any idea let me now. Other then that does anyone have any idea how many 4 door 2 wheel drivers that where manuals where made i have seen in the sport but nothing really in the 4 door. Oh yea here a picture of my new explorer. Damn this truck is awesome btw. :):)

0601130040_zps1f3a33d7.jpg

Congrats on the new to you explorer. :)

There should be a vacuum switch on the brake pedal that releases vacuum when you push on the brake. Follow the vacuum hose out through the firewall to the diaphragm that controls the cruise and disconnect the hose there. Use a vacuum pump (or suck on the hose) to see if it holds vacuum. If not, your cruise will never come on, because it thinks the brake pedal is always being pushed. Mine had a rubber bumper on the brake pedal striker plate that rotted and fell out. I just taped a piece of wood there to replace the bumper, but it was a hack for sure.

...Just an idea of where to look, but it's an easy check. This was on my 94 Ranger with auto tranny, but it should be the same on the Explorer.

Also, years ago on my sisters 94 Explorer, (which is now mine), I had to replace an electronic box mounted above the glove box that controls the cruise. It was a big guess that the box was the problem, but it was cheap from the junk yard. It's still working.

There should be a vacuum switch on the brake pedal that releases vacuum when you push on the brake. Follow the vacuum hose out through the firewall to the diaphragm that controls the cruise and disconnect the hose there. Use a vacuum pump (or suck on the hose) to see if it holds vacuum. If not, your cruise will never come on, because it thinks the brake pedal is always being pushed. Mine had a rubber bumper on the brake pedal striker plate that rotted and fell out. I just taped a piece of wood there to replace the bumper, but it was a hack for sure.

...Just an idea of where to look, but it's an easy check. This was on my 94 Ranger with auto tranny, but it should be the same on the Explorer.

Also, years ago on my sisters 94 Explorer, (which is now mine), I had to replace an electronic box mounted above the glove box that controls the cruise. It was a big guess that the box was the problem, but it was cheap from the junk yard. It's still working.

The vacuum switch in my '94 is adjustable. I just pulled it down out of the bracket a bit, enough to contact the paddle on the brake pedal. Instant cruise!

Update picked the explorer up yesterday and put around 250 miles give or take a few. It going to need some new plug wires has a miss at low rpm around 1,000 to 1500. This happen when you let off the gas then get back on it. The only thing that isn't working is the cruise control not sure if there a bad fuse or what didn't come with a book so if anyone has any idea let me now. Other then that does anyone have any idea how many 4 door 2 wheel drivers that where manuals where made i have seen in the sport but nothing really in the 4 door. Oh yea here a picture of my new explorer. Damn this truck is awesome btw. :):)

0601130040_zps1f3a33d7.jpg

That looks pretty cool.
And I'm 99% sure it's physically impossible to have cruise control on a standard transmission.

I will take a look at that tomorrow and see, you can have cruise on a standard had a few cars that where standard and used it there should be another line that shut the cruise off when you hit the clutch. Thanks am really enjoy the x so far.

Nice looking ex! i wish mine still had rocker pannels when i bought it like your does. Hope u have a blast driving it and dont worry i dont think i would want another ex but a first gen after my first one either.

And I'm 99% sure it's physically impossible to have cruise control on a standard transmission.

Negative. Many come equipped. And it works fine in my truck that was converted. It only modulates the throttle to keep the speed at a certain value, that's coming from the speed sensor. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

On the other hand, don't push the clutch in on these when cruise is engaged. There's no immediate kick off switch for that.

......I have it.:thumbsup:

didn't get to take a look at it today maybe tomorrow been working at work a bit on detailing it got a few more thing to do then i will get more pictures posted would like to find a 10 sub to go in the back on the right side yea the 1st gen are kick ass not going to lie i test drove this one a month ago and was like yep its mine

Back