Need help idetifying: Part of fuel filter or fuel line? Pic attached | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help idetifying: Part of fuel filter or fuel line? Pic attached

EvinH

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer ST
I changed my fuel filter on my 2001 ST and it looks like the original one was still on there. It was a pretty difficult time getting it off. On the inlet side of the one I removed, there was what seemed to be another "nipple" behind the one that holds the line one (See pic). I can't tell if that's supposed to be there on the old filter and I've been getting the wrong replacement fuel filters or the "extra" piece is part of the fuel fitting and I'm going to have to replace that. The "extra" piece is either part of the fuel filter or is very heavily corroded and has bonded to the filter.

One thing to note is there was an o-ring that also came off with the fuel filter and when I put the new filter on, there was some play between the fuel line and the filter, where the original did not have the play. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of hard to see with the square directly behind it.

Like the Colt poster :)

Fordfuellinespring1.jpg

Fordfuellinespring.jpg

fuelline.jpg

FuelLineClips_zps7a38ca59.jpg

Its part of the fuel line connector.. soak it good with penetrating oil and see if you can get it off..

Kind of hard to see with the square directly behind it.

Like the Colt poster :)
Sorry for the square behind it, didn't realize it till it was posted. Yeah the poster is one of my favs. Tried to talk my wife into letting stick it on the front door, but was quickly overruled. :)

Safe to assume that those clips are available through Ford? I didn't see the clip come off with the filter, so I'll have a look inside the fuel line. If I can get the piece off and the clips, I just need to put it back in the fuel line with the o-ring right?

Would it be "easier" but more work to just replace the fuel line? My thoughts that if that piece was that corroded and fused itself to the filter, might be a good idea to swap the line. The truck has a 114K miles on it. The outlet side was fine and came off without much effort and wasn't nearly as corroded.

Thanks for the answers.

I doubt the line is available new. Dorman makes line end "repair" kits. If those clips get mangled its a pita to get it apart. The clips and o rings are available from Ford.

Kind of answered my own question, called up a ford dealership and it looks like the fuel line assembly is discontinued so can't get it from ford. They suggested a salvage yard. I can't find the fuel line on rockauto.com. Anyone have any suggestions for good salvage yards that have websites? Would other years fit if I need to replace the fuel line assembly?

I doubt the line is available new. Dorman makes line end "repair" kits. If those clips get mangled its a pita to get it apart. The clips and o rings are available from Ford.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that as I haven't had any luck finding used lines. Definitely a different world than the Mustangs! Someone always had the little odd piece stashed somewhere.

UPDATE: Finally got the piece off by soaking it in a rust remover and I was able to pull it off the old filter. Got everything back together and my ST is back on the road. thanks for all the suggestions and help to all those who answered.

Good to hear glad it worked out for you.

Back