• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport trac fuel filter

Joseph Tilghman

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac 2w Drive
Changed the filter took me longer to jack it up and place the jack stand.
Bought a double ended fuel line tool don't waste your money took it back and got a set of 4 for $20. The first tool would not fit in into the coupling to disengage the fuel line.

Disconnected the inertia cutoff switch cable and started the truck until it stopped. If you want to use this method the switch is located on the passenger side tucked up against the lower firewall and kick panel you will see a red knob on top of it. Just unclip the wire harness.

You will need a 3/8 and 5/16 fuel line tool. 2 lines are 3/8 and 1 is 5/16. There was also a metal duck bill clip on the front of the filter holding the fuel line to the filter. Lift up the back of the clip and slide forward to disengage it.

The filter is located on the drivers side inside the frame rail. It lines up with the door post.

Have a rag handy there is still some fuel in the filter and still a bit of pressure.

The Haynes manual said there was 2 shields covering the filter there were none in my case. The filter slipped into a big metal clip to hold it in place.
Taking off the old filter and installing the new one took me 15 minutes.

First one I have ever done very easy fix.

:D

Another tip is to spray the ends of the filter inside the clips with wd40 or PB Blaster to dislodge any dirt inside to make it easier to get the tool in there and disconnect it. Only buy the anodized colored tools, their really the only set that work and fit properly.

Didn't think of the WD40. The anodized tools did work better.

Back