No snow yet.. but the Explorer's ready - post some pictures of your X with a plow | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No snow yet.. but the Explorer's ready - post some pictures of your X with a plow

Not to many ex's with blades huh... fig there'd be a few...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw this one today... 5-speed truck.

IMG01377-20110114-1234.jpg

I actualy see alot of first gens with plows on them in michigan. Hell if i didnt care so much for the well being of my old girl she would have a plaw on here too. I do lawncare in the summer n pull a 5X8 trailer with a zeroturn around but havent wanted to hurt to much. If i get a chance ill take sum pics n post of the trucks i see.

damn. This makes me want to pick up a first gen and toss a blade on it.

99 and 98 mountaineers. one 5.0 one 4.0 SOHC. Both with 6'6" Steel Western Pro guard Plows.

Heres some random pics.

This mount on the left in the first pic is some random, just parked next to it to see what stock looked like vs mine with the plow on.

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo12.jpg

Here's some pics from the "Snowmegeddon" in Chicago from last year. I live in the Northwest Burbs right by O hare airport and My town actually got the most snow in the area 24 inches. Our trucks were on for hours straight, i never shut it off while plowing. not even to eat or get gas haha. The black one has 215k miles on original motor and trans, plowing for 4 years this winter, the green 5.0 has 186k and plowing for two years. and the only thing broken in 4 years is a front drive shaft. Hopefully we have good luck this year because they are calling for another bad winter.

This is what we woke up to that morning.
photo5.jpg

photo11.jpg

Silly Cop, you have 2wd.
photo41.jpg

photo22.jpg

snow taller than my tires lol
photo32.jpg

photo51.jpg

photo52.jpg

Here's dad cleaning up the driveway
IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

Nice to see this thread come back!
Thats my dads 96 Explorer, and it has met its maker... after a broken brake line it was sent to be fixed and the mechanic (A friend of my dads) said the truck was not worth fixing... frame was so thin with rust you could put a hammer through it. Junk yard is picking it up today!

The plow is being moved over to a 2003 V8 explorer.
He has an 02 Explorer for daily driving in the winter and puts his 06 Explorer limited away until the salty roads clear up in the spring

Nice to see this thread come back!
Thats my dads 96 Explorer, and it has met its maker... after a broken brake line it was sent to be fixed and the mechanic (A friend of my dads) said the truck was not worth fixing... frame was so thin with rust you could put a hammer through it. Junk yard is picking it up today!

The plow is being moved over to a 2003 V8 explorer.
He has an 02 Explorer for daily driving in the winter and puts his 06 Explorer limited away until the salty roads clear up in the spring

Well the 03 V8 developed a nasty motor knock... still running but not trustworthy.

So the plow was moved to an 04 4.0. This truck is immaculate, no rust issues at all.

(The 02 V8 next to it is my dads winter driver. He's got an 06 Limited for summer use)

photo2-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

Fisher Homesteader personal plow

Hello everyone.

Advice/Pointers?
I have a 03 eddiebauer explorer.
V6. Nice condition and I am thinking about putting one of the new fisher homesteader plows on it for 3995.00 installed. It only weighs 250 lbs and looking at you tube vids looks like it plows real well. BTW I am only using this for my Drvwy wich is long and skinny. Maybe some of the neighbors.
Anyone have one already? what do you think and do I need to beef up my Frnt end. I already have 4 new quick struts going in. We all know how these frnt ends are. I have had 5 of them. Anyone?

Are you seriously digging up years old plow threads just to post your new plow pictures? LOL.

I'd put one on in a heartbeat.. But don't predict much use for it here in Phoenix! :)

Are you seriously digging up years old plow threads just to post your new plow pictures? LOL.

i wanted to see if anybody had official plow mounts on their XPLRs primarily 2 dr sports that have full function hydraulic plows of course. my plow mounts to a front mount receiver hitch which I'm also going to be using for a winch set up that I'm going to be building and I'm also going to be making a license plate bracket that mounts to the hitch as well because my front bumper is new and I painted the bottom gray part of the truck black to match the rest of the truck so I haven't drilled holes in the front bumper yet for the plate and I don't want to. And I was also looking to find out if their plow plus mount was heavier or lighter than my setup and also so I could take a look at the plow mount to compare durability of an official Plow Mount to my front mount receiver hitch. I'm also planning on swapping in fully adjustable coilovers in the front and ditching the torsion bars so I can raise and adjust the dampening of the front end when I mount the plow to it because as it is I have lt265/75r16s instead of the stock p235/70r16s and also a two to three inch suspension lift but when i have the weight of the plow on the front end my tires rub the splash shields a little under three-quarters of the way fully turned, I'll also be able to level the front end with the rear when I have the plow on or off the truck and it will also have a much nicer ride and even better when I get custom leaf springs for the rear. I would love to raise the truck another five to seven inches and put bigger tires on it but the truck barely fits in my garage as it is. Plus I also bent my front mount receiver hitch in the past storm we got here in Jersey so I had Curt Manufacturing warranty it and send me another one which I'm going to reinforce and make gussets for it and make some bracing, it's never going to bend again but after I bent the hitch I was curious to see what kind of other plow setups guys had for their explorers like I said before primarily two-door Sports with full function hydraulics. Plus I also did a dual alternator set up with a high amp alternator and a low amp alternator so that I have kick ass idle voltage while having tons of accessories powered on and while engaging the plow. I can maintain a steady 12.8 to 13.5 volts at a 600 rpm idle with all of the accessories I've installed and the stock accessories all powered on Under full electrical load. I also built a custom plow controller for the plow as you can see in my pictures and another thing that's pretty cool is my Meyer Home Plow is one-off I installed Amber LEDs in the top of the yellow blade side markers and they are also wired to the turn signals as well and I also installed those headlights on the plow to. I'm also working on a dual Optima battery bracket to replace the stock battery in the factory location I just haven't decided whether to go with the red top or the yellow top Optimas or maybe both with a solenoid that engages the second battery when the vehicle is running and also install a switch so that I can engage the second battery if I want to in case the first battery dies that way I'll have a back up in the event I accidentally drain the first battery by playing Xbox or watching Netflix and then I'm going to wire it all up with top of the line 0 gauge or better wiring all over plus the truck is supercharged. I definitely have to say I probably have one of the fastest 2-door sports in Jersey and one of the craziest belt-drive setups in the country. It's not a bad thing to wake up an old ass thread plus I also wanted to give the guys in here a chance to look at my setup to give them ideas as well. I love it when somebody picks on you for posting on a thread that's years old its funny. I got ideas from their stuff so they should be able to have the option to get ideas from my stuff too.

Back