Snow plowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow plowing

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Has anyone looked into attaching a snow plow to their Explorer?

Apparently Curt make a front hitch for 11-15 MYs, a snow plow can be added that way. Should be fine for payload and front GAWR if its a light duty plow.

Link to front hitch - Front Mount Hitch with 2" Receiver

Or there is another option, called the 'nordic auto plow'

Link - Nordic Auto Plow

Opinions on viability of either? Pros? Cons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several (pardon my French) half assed snow plows for light duty vehicles. Most plug into a front mounted receiver and either use gravity or a spring setup to push along the ground. They can typically be mounted to front or rear of vehicle. Bizon and snowsport are two such products. Cost will be about $1,500 or so.

I have a buddy that looked into similar and instead bought a Chinese atv with plow for $1,500. It's been working fine for the last 3-4 yrs.

Or, you can probably get a riding mower with plow for about the same price.

Has anyone looked into attaching a snow plow to their Explorer?

Apparently Curt make a front hitch for 11-15 MYs, a snow plow can be added that way. Should be fine for payload and front GAWR if its a light duty plow.

Link to front hitch - Front Mount Hitch with 2" Receiver

Or there is another option, called the 'nordic auto plow'

Link - Nordic Auto Plow

Opinions on viability of either? Pros? Cons?
That's one way to void the warranty!

Using Your Vehicle With a
Snowplow

Do not use this vehicle for
snowplowing.
Your vehicle does not have a snowplowing
package.

Peter

That's one way to void the warranty!

Using Your Vehicle With a
Snowplow

Do not use this vehicle for
snowplowing.
Your vehicle does not have a snowplowing
package.

Peter
Oof, didn't even remember that, thanks! I'm at 88xxx km, so my powertrain warranty can be kissed goodbye by winter.

Although I wonder what modifications would be needed to make it suitable for snowplowing, or as close as one might get.

Having plowed before with a 1980 F150, I would not even think of adding a plow to an Explorer. You will destroy your front end ball joints CV joints sway bars etc in one season. If you hit a curb or a bump in the road etc. I rebuilt my front end three times on my F150 in the 8 years I used it. Being an EX is a front wheel drive I bet it would not hold up well at all. Not sure where you live or how much snow you get, but I would opt for a small tractor if a lot or off my riding mower if not to much. Or a good snow blower with a cab like I had in Cleveland OH.

Having plowed before with a 1980 F150, I would not even think of adding a plow to an Explorer. You will destroy your front end ball joints CV joints sway bars etc in one season. If you hit a curb or a bump in the road etc. I rebuilt my front end three times on my F150 in the 8 years I used it. Being an EX is a front wheel drive I bet it would not hold up well at all. Not sure where you live or how much snow you get, but I would opt for a small tractor if a lot or off my riding mower if not to much. Or a good snow blower with a cab like I had in Cleveland OH.
The op is asking about the ~50 pound non hydraulic push blades for light duty residential use. I highly doubt they will destroy anything in 1 season.

This thread isn't about installing a 500 lb light commercial plow or 900+ lb pro plow on a 5g explorer.

The op is asking about the ~50 pound non hydraulic push blades for light duty residential use. I highly doubt they will destroy anything in 1 season.

This thread isn't about installing a 500 lb light commercial plow or 900+ lb pro plow on a 5g explorer.

I understood that. I am just saying it will put a lot of unexpected forces on the front end not designed for it. I know I wouldn't do it. Because of the reasons I mentioned, it will stress all the parts in the front end. Pushing a five foot wide twelve inch high load of wet snow is not as easy as they make it look. Now a dry snow would be easy.

I understood that. I am just saying it will put a lot of unexpected forces on the front end not designed for it. I know I wouldn't do it. Because of the reasons I mentioned, it will stress all the parts in the front end. Pushing a five foot wide twelve inch high load of wet snow is not as easy as they make it look. Now a dry snow would be easy.
People have been doing things to vehicles for years that are not good for them. People have put plows on smaller cuvs, like rav4 and similar. People even put the rear plows on small cars like fusion and malibu without much fanfare. But, anything can happen. Heck, there are quite a few explorers around here failing miserably without a plow...

Back