• Register Today It's free!

How to make optima yellow top fit

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
My battery died after all these years so I figured I would cough up for a yellow top.
And it's too small.
Has anyone made one fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are Optima battery boxes/hold-downs available. either that, or get creative.

Or use a "superior" battery that drops in without adapters or converting. The DieHard P-2 Group 65 has better specs, warranty, and is comparably priced. Google DieHard Platinum vs. Optima Yellow Top. You will find the DieHard Platinum
as the overwhelming favorite, and it looks like it "belongs" under your hood. Only fault is it weighs 60 pounds. GL

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...00&aff=Y&PID=3663046&AID=11042411#description

The yellow tops/red tops will fit with the use of an adapter that comes with most of them.
For mine, it was 2 blue adapters that snap on each side of the battery so it sits normally.
You can sort of see them here in the bottom right corner:
ZRUiIuJl.jpg

I used to go through a lead-acid battery in my work van once every 9 months-GPS, computer, etc was merciless on it. Finally put in a yellow top. Three years later, same battery still going strong. And before the comments start coming about warranty, what price your hood up at a customers location?

Bill

I used to go through a lead-acid battery in my work van once every 9 months-GPS, computer, etc was merciless on it. Finally put in a yellow top. Three years later, same battery still going strong. And before the comments start coming about warranty, what price your hood up at a customers location?

Bill

did you even read and consider what sws posted? Take a moment and google what he said. The Sears Platinum is a better battery, it is a AGM just like the optima and has better performance and shh...better warranty. It is actually a rebadged Oddyssey battery. I had a yellow top it last just over a year and half, they are not what they used to be, quality is way down, you'd find that out if you could use google. I know plenty of fellow jeepers that have used both and none would go back to the optima.

The OP has already purchased the yellow top & is wanting ideas for making his fit better.

C'mon guys, lets be a little more constructive to the actual thread topic here. ;)

I have had the red tops in the past, and had to use the adapters as already posted. I also used a tie down strap that went around the battery & tray to hold it in place snug.

Personal I would take the yellow top and throw it right in the trash ...
I went threw 4 optima batteries and after that I was done ..

Also check out
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electrical-wiring/913442-batteries-optima-alternatives.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electrical-wiring/1051909-best-off-road-battery.html

FYI: AGM batteries can be difficult to charge properly. parts stores and regular home-style chargers can't bring flat AGM batteries back to a 100% charge. Optima now sells a smart-charger, but it ain't cheap.

I get 5 plus years on a cheap Interstate. Been using them for years in all my vehicles,plus they fit correctly.

I get 5 plus years on a cheap Interstate. Been using them for years in all my vehicles,plus they fit correctly.

yeah, i've been getting 8-9 years out of several Advance Silver batteries. Autozone's red tops seem to last about 5-6 years. i got almost 10 years out of a NAPA battery in my classic t-bird. a Motorcraft battery that came in one of my X's only lasted a year and a half. personally, i wouldn't spend the extra money on an AGM battery.

Agm are better for those that do more than street driving. They take the jarring, vibrations better than a wet cell will. If your strictly a street rig, a wet cell is good enough.

Now back on topic, there are a few places that make and sell metal mount boxes just for the optima. Ruffstuff specialties is one of them.

The Optima yellow-tops used to be excellent batteries. Not any more. After their "production changes", they are the worst batteries I have ever used. It may be too late for the OP, but to others reading this, you would do well to go with one of the much better options out there.

Back