Finally..shocks/sturts/lowering springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally..shocks/sturts/lowering springs

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, cA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Well my stock springs have been leaking so I finally decided to order some shocks. I thought I might as well get struts too and the lowering springs.

The only thing that sucks is there are not many brands to choose from!! It's either the Ford brand (which I am not fond of) and Monroe (which is whatever to me).

I ended up getting the Monroe ones since they were cheaper and I'm hoping they give me a slightly stiffer ride than the stock. I felt it bounce a little too much.

So these are the parts I got:
Monroe Shock Absorber 911330
Monroe OESpectrum Strut 72620 & 72621
H&R Sport Springs 51630 (such a big gap for my XLT tires)

I am going to a place I used to take my car to get brakes and tires.
$120 for front
$80 for back
free to install the springs since they will have the parts all off already :).

In a couple months I will then be getting rims and tires.

ANYTHING I NEED TO DO BESIDES GETTING THE ALIGNMENT AFTER I'M DONE?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Align it and then have it aligned again after the springs settle which will take some time. Other than that, just be prepared to take things at angles b/c the low plastic guard on the front will scrape, at least mine does on certain driveways and things.

Align it and then have it aligned again after the springs settle which will take some time. Other than that, just be prepared to take things at angles b/c the low plastic guard on the front will scrape, at least mine does on certain driveways and things.

How does a person know when the springs settle?

I usually take it at angles already, but sometimes I do go straight it and hear it scrape :(. I have the 18" XLT rims not the 20" so I'm wondering if it's going to be a huge difference for me.

You don't really "know" when they settle. I usually give mine 3 months or 3k miles before I have it aligned again. I've had it be just fine the second time and way off the second time. Depends on the vehicle.

As for the wheels, you want to try and keep your total wheel/tire combo circumference about the same. So as you add more wheel, you take off tire sidewall. Mine had the 20s from the factory. I just went to 22s but went with less tire sidewall to keep everything close to the same. The car will ride stiffer with shorter sidewalls, and have to be a little more careful about potholes and things. A shorter sidewall also makes the car more responsive in the turns since there isn't as much sidewall to flex under load.

Here's mine right after being lowered on the OEM 20's.

7BF4FA8A-6F57-40A5-989E-8EB996C0E5E5_zps4vagscyy.jpg

And here it is after being settled and with the new 22s. Notice how much less of a sidewall the tires on the 22s have.

951FAC42-0AC3-48DB-88A7-054FF4BED4E1_zpswocdfjd3.jpg

Also, you can tell the damn thing settled almost a full inch front and rear.

Here's mine right after being lowered on the OEM 20's.

7BF4FA8A-6F57-40A5-989E-8EB996C0E5E5_zps4vagscyy.jpg

And here it is after being settled and with the new 22s. Notice how much less of a sidewall the tires on the 22s have.

951FAC42-0AC3-48DB-88A7-054FF4BED4E1_zpswocdfjd3.jpg

Also, you can tell the damn thing settled almost a full inch front and rear.

Maybe I shouldn't lower mine! I still have the 18" XLT rims and tires so I'm thinking it's going to have a lot of gap and look a little weird. With the larger tires and rims it just looks nicer.
And dang! That is a nice drop with those rims.

It'll have less gap than it does now with the lowering springs. I would still lower it and then get wheels and tires when you can if that's your plan. These things are always a work in progress.

Here's more a direct comparison of the settling and different wheels and tires. Similar angle.

D0DA0477-944E-4FED-8667-860E84F2A512_zpsknplfxt7.jpg

Alright I got it done!! I am trying to transfer the pictures onto my computer but I cannot so I will have to do it at work tomorrow!!

I lowered my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with the 18" alloy rims. Installed the Monroe Shocks and Struts as well.

It gave me about a 2" drop in the back :)

Only problem, well not problem, but when they lifted the truck they saw the plastic filter near the oil tank loose. The clip was broken and it was hanging a little bit.

Back