• Register Today It's free!

Bixenon or LED?

mafloc78

Reaction score
City, State
Sosua / Puerto Plata
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2001
Has anyone any experience with LED lights?
Which light is better and brighter for the Sport Trac 2001? Xenon or led?

What I need is a good conversion-set xenon or led, but when look in ebay there so much and I dont know what is good or bad. The problem is I'm here in the dominican Republic and the streets here have so many potholes and the most time you see it to late. For this I need a really powerful conversion-set.

Your experience with it would be very helpful for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a set of LED headlights and fog lights for my Super Duty. They are direct plug and play so they're easy to install. Costly but they will last for a lot longer than a set of sylvannia silverstar ultras so will pay off in the long run. Check out this: http://dirtydiesels.com/replacement-bulbs/

HIDs are brighter and cheaper, but I have HIDs and I'm switching to LED just because I didn't get bixenon so I don't have high beams. I've got 35W 5000K bulbs from ddmtuning.com and love them. But I'd say go with LEDs for sure. Less energy and no warm up time is a plus

i'd do led

unless you install a projector, i'd not put a vapor bulb in the factory housing

ballasts - vapor technology - heat - wiring harness - blah

Yeah HIDs are no good without a projector. They just scatter the light everywhere. LEDs aren't quite as focused as halogen bulbs but they don't scatter the light as bad as HIDs.

Here's what it looks like in-cab:

5782DA2A-FDE4-4ABF-8286-0A37229BCBFD_zpsvxbqk8t2.jpg

And outside:

C0EA621B-A44F-454A-B273-28366B1C0D54_zps5nn9g4oy.jpg

Before

F4B82315-1CCE-4087-93A4-EF9D3A34CC0F_zps1a9orbc6.jpg

After

2F95187B-9029-4DE4-B097-2488FEB42043_zps12gchhnl.jpg

what is the bulb number? does it have the high and low beams on the same bulb?

should last the life of that truck - one small maint that you'll never have to do again

Ok, then you mean LED ist better than HID because the no scatter the light so much. I bought this headlights in ebay. What would be the best bulbs for it? Halogen, bixenon or LED or what brings the best view of the road with low and hibeam?
[MENTION=162586]01STrunner[/MENTION]:
the link from dirtydiesels.com with the hi/low bulbs looks good but which conversion-kit I need?
On the first foto is it low or hi beam? Maybe you can send me 2 fotos more, but without foglamps, only the low and hi beam in the night. That would be great.

This is the link for the dual beam head lights.

This is the link for the fog lights.

There isn't a large difference between high and low beams unfortunately. You can see in the 2nd picture, the beam goes a little further up the driveway across the street than the low beams. What I do is drive with just the low beams until I'm away from traffic (or if its foggy) and then turn the fog lights on because they are ridiculously bright. I don't use the high beams really but you can see so well with just the lows and fogs I don't care that much.

Low Beams

323B3FAB-3B26-4711-B8BF-916DEBE0FD1B_zps1jrwjstk.jpg

High Beams

5782DA2A-FDE4-4ABF-8286-0A37229BCBFD_zpsvxbqk8t2.jpg

If you do HID it needs to be proper, with an aftermarket projector and everything. While it can be done, it's not cheap. You can probably get a decent set of LEDs for 100 bucks (ish), a good HID setup would be much more.

LEDs are bright, but range (highbeams don't shine much further than the lowbeams) is a known issue. It may not be an issue for you though.

The LED low beams shine further than the stock high beams so it's negated.

Ok,
@ 5whiskey:
I bought this headlights and I dont think so I can buy an aftermarket projector for this, or you can teach me better? Then you can send me a link but only for Sport Trac 2001.
Headlights.jpg

I hope you can see the picture

@ 01STrunner:
Thanks for the fotos. I like the bulbs what you have, but for the Sport Trac 2001 I need a conversion kit. On your link I can see only the bulbs.

There so much different conversion kits in ebay and all say "this is the best".
Here I cant buy it because here to buy a good quality in the domnican republic is impossible. That's why I need your experience.

In future I want to buy and install Foglamps too, but what I dont know is, the switch inside the car is only for the normal lights without foglights. What should I do? Replace the light switch or attach an external switch or is there more to change?

Attachments

• Headlights.jpg
    Headlights.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 191

@ 01STrunner:
Thanks for the fotos. I like the bulbs what you have, but for the Sport Trac 2001 I need a conversion kit. On your link I can see only the bulbs.

There is no conversion kit for the lights I sent you. They directly plug into the factory wiring harnesses.

not sure you know the difference, but forgive me if you already do

halogen bulbs have a filament - like the bulbs that came on your explorer - the lamp housing on your explorer is designed for those bulbs and reflect the light the way the ford designer intended - you can buy different kinds of halogen bulbs such as silverlight - these bulbs claim to give more light but if you ask any 3 people, you will get answers from 'yes they do' to 'no they don't'

hid bulbs like xernon are vapor lamps - like a fluorescent bulb or a streetlight - the light comes from burning gas inside the bulb instead of a filament - these bulbs need a ballast installed and new 'harness' wiring - it needs to be rewired because it draws too much power for the wires that came on your explorer - xenon bulbs cannot (or should not) be placed in your explorer's stock lamp housing - the light is very bright and it is completely unfocused (meaning, the light is blared out of the housing and will blind everyone in other cars) - xenon lights are installed in 'projectors' that reflect, direct and focus the light downward - check the pictures on here and you will see guys shining their lights on their garage doors - the lower portion is very bright but the upper area is dark - the line between the dark and light is what they call their 'cut line' - the more defined the cut line, the more prestigious - these projectors have a lens in front of the bulb and a piece of metal that allows the light to shine on the road but blocks the light above the 'cut line' - usually, guys convert to hid bulbs by installing a ballast for each bulb, wiring in the ballast AND installing an aftermarket projector - they install those projectors inside their factory headlamp housings (or buy another housing to mount the projector and swap out the factory housings) - there are threads here how to do it, but it involves baking the housing in the oven, prying it open, mounting the projector inside and resealing the housing - very bright but a LOT of work

trunner bought led lamps - the led lamps require no wiring changes - they are not filiment bulbs like halogen and they are not gas burning bulbs like xenon - they simply replace the halogen bulbs you already have - they are fairly new and i was curious how well they distribute the light in the stock headlamp housing, since the housing is designed for halogen - led lamps (in houses) are rated to last 22 years - yes - years - i don't know the rating for headlamps but i suspect they will outlast the truck

led bulbs should last the longest
halogen will burn out but last many years for me
xenon bulbs need replacement more often

might be wrong here - but light output

hid (xenon) puts out the most light
led second
halogen third

hid bulbs use the most electrical power
halogen use less
led uses very little electrical power

after seeing turnner's led lamps, i am going to get those

but i will say this

i have silverstar halogen lamps now and they are good enough for me - BUT - i did replace my headlamp housings several years ago - my explorer is garaged and the housings are still perfectly clear

if your housings are not clear, that is the first step - either replace them or restore them until they ARE perfectly clear

that is the cheapest fix - and it needs to be done even if you do change the type of bulb you use

I'll be jumping on the retrofit bandwagon when $ permits. that cut off line makes me smile

Yeah the cutoff line is amazing with projectors. Also to add to it Rigid makes DOT certified fig light replacements that have a really nice cutoff line too.

Attachments

• LLL9007-3200__96559.1416432164.1280.1280.jpg
    LLL9007-3200__96559.1416432164.1280.1280.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 9007_light_bulb_2.jpg
    9007_light_bulb_2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 161

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They have an adapter that comes in the box with them. The link I sent you has everything you need to just plug into the OEM harness.

Back