• Register Today It's free!

LED Tail Light Issues

TGtrac05

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
Anyone ever swapped out their tail light bulbs for LEDs? I finally got some that are nice enough and bright enough to be better than the incandescent bulbs, aaaand they don't flash. I already know about needing resistors or LED flashers, but I already have a LED flasher installed. I've been running LED switchback turn signals up front for a while now, and I thought that replacing the flasher would work for the front and rear. But with these they don't flash for the turn signals, and they don't light up for the brake lights. They're definitely meant to be used for brake light/turn signal-in-one applications too.

So I guess the question is even though I've got a LED flasher, would resistors still be necessary for the rear? I'll probably just return them, not worth my time since I figured they'd work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The purpose of the load resistor is to simulate the filament of an incandescent bulb for a standard mechanical flasher. LED flashers don't require load resistors. You probably have the wrong LED flasher installed.

The purpose of the load resistor is to simulate the filament of an incandescent bulb for a standard mechanical flasher. LED flashers don't require load resistors. You probably have the wrong LED flasher installed.

So is there another flasher besides the EP27 that I would need? Because that's what explorers use and I've been running LED turn signals with an EP27 for about a year.

Just the one front and one rear at a time. So just two, and it should work fine. Oh well, maybe it's just the lights

Try reversing the bulb in the socket. LEDs are polar so they only work one way - just an idea.

Try reversing the bulb in the socket. LEDs are polar so they only work one way - just an idea.

Yeah I wish that was it, but since only one way works if they are turned around they just don't light up at all.

Ah ok I wasn't sure if it'd want to light one mode up instead of both. That's strange.

I have some cheap leds for the rear but not the front yet. I had the hyper flash till I ordered a flasher, ep27 also. I'm waiting to get some good leds for the front with a true Amber not yellow. When I do I can update

1 annoying thing with my flasher, it has a delay from the time the turn signal turns off till it stops "clicking". It seems to go 1.5-2-2.5 cycles of clicking after the switch is off.

How do you like the switchbacks? I'm still leaning towards just Amber.

Yeah I find that annoying about the flasher too. Didn't know if that was just mine.

I love the switchbacks though, They're bright as hell so I use them as daytime running lights and match my 5000K HIDs pretty good, and they look good with the clear corners. Mine are a vibrant orange too, got them from DDMtuning I'm pretty sure.

I wonder if having those is what's messing the tail lights up though because like brooklynbay said, The flasher works for 2 leds at a time, so I'm wondering if the switching from white to amber is counting that. I wouldn't think so but who knows

Another place to look would be the chevy 1/2 ton forums. So many of those guys put switchbacks in em. A lot of them are the Chinese looking style lights from 03-06.

Back