4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
A friend of mine left an Explorer with me for a while to get some work done.
It was a 2001 Explorer sport.
Started out with a shifter problem that would not go into park, the lever was sloppy, and hard to shift the lever into the different positions like PRND21.
The emergency brake did not work either so when he dropped it off I had to put a brick behind the tire.
The transmission had been rebuilt or replaced, I don't know which one. It was a darker grey spray painted transmission so I know something was done to it.
My friend told me the former mechanic told him he thought it needed a shifter cable. He blamed the hard shifting on that, and he also stated he "bent the shifter bracket" to try to get it to go into park.

First thing I did was adjust the cable, then I could leave it parked without it rolling away. Here is where you adjust the cable, you pull out the whitish plastic piece and put the trans and shifter in neutral. Then you push the whitish plastic piece back in. Done, goes into park now.

Attachments

• Shifter Cable Adjustment.jpg
    Shifter Cable Adjustment.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 249

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mlp

Next was the manual lever position sensor. It was seized causing the hard shifting. I unbolted the 2 bolts and moved the shifter, it was then easy. That's how I found out it was the MLP and not the cable. I have posted some of these pictures before if they seem familiar. But here will be the whole story, or at least more of it.

Attachments

• Manual Lever Position Sensor.jpg
    Manual Lever Position Sensor.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Stuff needed to change MLP.jpg
    Stuff needed to change MLP.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 251

Shifter Bracket

Actually I tightened the shifter bracket on the steering column second, then the MLP. Tightening the bracket got rid of the slop in the shifter.

Exhaust rattle

The exhaust was rattling in the back of the vehicle. A little bending of the hanger bracket and it was then far enough away from the body of the vehicle so it didn't hit anymore.

Attachments

• Exhaust rattle.jpg
    Exhaust rattle.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 239

Rear Hatch

The passenger side rear hatch hinge was falling apart. Tightening it was all that was needed. Just a 10mm nut that was coming loose.

Attachments

• Rear hatch window hindge 3.jpg
    Rear hatch window hindge 3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 243
  • Rear hatch window hindge 2.jpg
    Rear hatch window hindge 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Rear hatch window hindge 1.jpg
    Rear hatch window hindge 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 243

Rear Hatch Latch Bracket?

The Bracket (for loss of a better word) was broken(plastic). So was the plastic outside handle for the back hatch (sorry no picture of that yet). Got one off eBay, 2 bolts and it is on, or off.

Attachments

• Rear hatch glass latch.jpg
    Rear hatch glass latch.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 252

Brakes

The front and rear brakes were shot. Upon closer inspection with the wheels off I saw something else wrong. See if you can guess what it is.
First two pics are left side, second two are right side.

Attachments

• 4 R side 2.jpg
    4 R side 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 239
  • 3 R side 1.jpg
    3 R side 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 2 L side 2.jpg
    2 L side 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 1 L side 1.jpg
    1 L side 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 243

Parking Brakes

The Parking Brakes are called drum in hat style. You have to pull the axles out to replace them. Not an easy job. There was nothing left of the pad material on either side.
First pic - The parking brake cable is very relaxed, there is also gear oil all over.
Second pic - Seized parking brake lever (goes through the backing plate).
Third pic - Where you have to put the allen key or small screwdriver to remove tension off the parking brakes when you replace them.
Fourth pic - Shows needed slack in the cable when replacing the shoes.

Attachments

• L side E brake cable.jpg
    L side E brake cable.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 256
  • R side E brake cable.jpg
    R side E brake cable.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Emergency Brake Pedal.jpg
    Emergency Brake Pedal.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Emergency Brake Cable slack.jpg
    Emergency Brake Cable slack.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 241

Rear Axle Seal leak

Rear Axle Seal on the drivers side was leaking.
Pic 1 - Leaky side, wet and dirty
Pic 2 - Dry side
Pic 3 and 4 - Dirty wheel, gear oil on it.

Attachments

• Dirty wheel 2.jpg
    Dirty wheel 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Dirty wheel LR.jpg
    Dirty wheel LR.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 239
  • R Rear.jpg
    R Rear.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 252
  • L Rear.jpg
    L Rear.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 233

Tie Rod

Tie Rod with blown out boot.

Attachments

• Tie Rod Boot blown out.jpg
    Tie Rod Boot blown out.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 232

Finished

Besides finishing all the brake work and tie rod end,
I also removed the rusty old step bars, they looked beat and where they bolted to (rocker panels) was all rotted out so they kind of flopped around.
Had to remove the Instrument Cluster to install a couple 194 bulbs so you could see all the gauges at night.
Two wiper Blades
Two hood shocks
One serpentine belt.
Approximately 185,000 miles

it's sad, but a lot of vehicles get ignored to death. people let these simple repairs mount up and then something more major happens and they don't think the vehicle is worth fixing. that's how I bought my highly optioned, 2000 XLT V8 for cheap. it had about 10 minor things that needed attention. I fixed most for free, or little money, and bought some used parts off eBay. I even had my local Ford dealer perform two recalls and a cruise control switch repair for free. It came with 4 brand new tires and a new battery. the only thing I can't get to work is the Mach radio display, otherwise it's 100%. My daughter and I have put over 5000 miles on it since I bought it last fall and it's turned out to be a rock-solid vehicle. it's not the prettiest Explorer/Mountaineer in my fleet (clear coat on roof peeling and some minor dents) but at 211,000 miles it doesn't leak a drop of anything and doesn't burn any oil.

111_0372.jpg

2000xlt

That radio display not working is a good reason to upgrade to a double din head unit. lol.
Congrats on picking up your XLT!
Looks great in pictures!
I like the missing door handle. lol

That radio display not working is a good reason to upgrade to a double din head unit. lol.
Congrats on picking up your XLT!
Looks great in pictures!
I like the missing door handle. lol

well, it has the 6-CD changer and the factory amp/sub woofer, so the radio sounds great to me. as far as the display, I really only listen to one station anyway, and I installed an analog clock I bought at AZ for $7. good enough.

Oh, the door handle's not missing anymore and I even painted the new one to match. the PO had removed the rear one in order to fix the front one... makes no sense.

2001 Explorer

Here is the truck that I did the work on.
My friend picked it up already but I snapped a picture of it before he did.
If all goes well it should last him a couple years.

Attachments

• 2001 Explorer.jpg
    2001 Explorer.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 196

Nice looking truck. Love those Sports!!

Back