• Register Today It's free!

Rear (Bed) Power Outlet

jmmorgan82

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I've been putting off fixing this thing since I bought the truck about a year and a half ago, but finally got around to diagnosing it today. There is no power at the connector but I am good coming off the fuse. I chipped the mud away underneath and found the first connector from the outlet. I have good voltage there, which is a relief. The output side connector looks like this:

KIMG0009.jpg

The positive wire has a hole in it and corroded away the inner wire. The connector coming from the fuse looks like this:

KIMG0010.jpg

These do not seem like they are re-usable, so I guess my question is where can I get the same connector, or what would you guys recommend for a good connector? That is behind the drivers side rear wheel so that area gets alot of mud/water/sand/etc. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say just cut out the connector, use some good heat shrink tubing and electrical tape over that and seal it in where you don't have to worry about anther connector going bad.

I like your style. I'll prob end up going that route, as most of the connectors I've looked at online and in-store are junk anyways.

I second the cut/splice/heat shrink method. I've used this many times on different vehicles for other connections and they still work to this day.

I put a water proof power outlet on on my motorcycle. Has a spring loaded cover that covers the plug. I agree, Cut and hard wire it in place, then fill with plenty of RTV to make it water and dirt proof. Dave P.

Back