• Register Today It's free!

8.8 differential

BOBBY32

Reaction score
City, State
Delanson new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
hello im going to be replacing my rear differential bearings dose anyone have a dieagram of the differential I have looked and can not fide one I have searched on here as well and nothing came up thanks in advance bobby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello im going to be replacing my rear differential bearings dose anyone have a dieagram of the differential I have looked and can not fide one I have searched on here as well and nothing came up thanks in advance bobby

Here you are, Bobby! Source: 1996 Ford Truck Shop Manual

img19610.jpg

img19711.jpg

Just picture yours without the axles on each side as ours (2002+) are only the center section with cv shafts.

thanks duranged84 and the bearing i'm changing is #11 correct

thanks duranged84 and the bearing i'm changing is [URL=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=11]#11 [/URL] correct

#11 are the differential bearings which support the whole works. But they also establish the tooth contact pattern. Manufacturing tolerances on tapered roller bearings are such that the new bearings may cause the clearance between the gears to change a bit. The thickness of a hair (0.002") difference can be enough to cause gear noise. It is always best to check the contact pattern with Prussian Blue before buttoning it back up. If the contact pattern is not acceptable, shim thickness must be changed. The shims not only locate the ring gear correctly, they also must preload the bearings a specified amount.

Sorry I could not show only the center section of the axle, but the "pumpkin" parts are the same in Explorer. imp

imp what is the Prussian Blue your talking about ?

thank you swshawaii but what do I do with that im not under standing something ???

Well I just got my differential back from the repair shop and put it back in my explore and I still have the same problem just not as bad any ideas where to turn now ?

no one can help me more with this problem im having ??

You've NEVER mentioned what "problem" or symptom(s) you are having in this thread, NOT ONCE. Noise, binding, etc. :scratch:

sorry about that swshawii the best way I can say it is that the rear of the explorer is dancing it dose not do this all the time and it is not speed related

feels like im driving on basketballs all tires are new and inspected nothing wrong there dose not do it all the time im starting to think it might be drivers rear cv shaft would that make since?? don't want to keep throwing $$$$ at things that are not bad

feels like im driving on basketballs all tires are new and inspected nothing wrong there dose not do it all the time im starting to think it might be drivers rear cv shaft would that make since?? don't want to keep throwing $$$$ at things that are not bad

Is there noise? Grumbling like noise? Does it come and go? You must describe the complaint in a way that allows us to understand it. Driving on "basketballs" would make the whole vehicle jump up & down. Does it do that? imp

If the rear end is on stands, grabbing the tires at 3 and 6, is there movement?

it comes and goes the only sound is like a whistle tires are not moving when they are grabbed im just so confused it don't make since to me and it is not conscent

Back