Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hello all,
I am looking into what it will take to convert my '02 explorer to 4x4.

My current 2x4 explorer has the 3.55 rear differential.

My question is: was the 4x4 '02 explorer offered with the 3.55 differentials?

If this is the case then I would have to get a new differential for the rear to match the entire front drive differential that I would pull off of another '02 explorer.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search around here for another member who is planning to convert to 2WD, he will have the axles, transfer case, etc. that you need. Ask him what he has and will trade etc. Good luck,

They did make a 4WD Explorer with 3.55 gears. It was standard if the light-duty tow package (or none whatsoever) was ordered. The ones with the Class III towing package (2" square reciever hitch) had 3.73 gearing.

There seems to be more Explorers on the road with light-duty tow package than with the heavy-duty. At least around here. I pay attention when I see them on the road, and notice the size of the hitch reciever. It shouldn't be too hard to locate a 3.55 geared front differential and all the other necessary components.

I have a question though...Wouldn't it just be easier (and potentially cheaper) to just trade your current 4x2 off on a similarly equipped 4x4? There's bazillions of Explorers out on the lots for sale. It shouldn't cost too much more to trade into a 4x4 of similar year, options, and mileage.

Mike has an excellent point, I would first shop around for a 4WD 2003 or 2004 model. Look at the top high option models, the options have little affect on used car prices.

40% of this venture is to actually have 4x4 when I go on high adventure trips.

60% of the reasoning for doing this conversion would be just for the fun of taking everything apart and putting it back together.

I'm still young right now and still in college (mechanical engineering major). I do not mind auto work and actually enjoy working on my truck. A project like this would also present an opportunity to better acquaint myself with all the hidden nooks and crannys of my truck. I believe that a man can never be knowledgeable enough with the truck he drives(especially while offroading).

I am still learning about the 4x4 system at this point, and any work would not begin until next summer ('09)(that is, if I still find it feasible on the electronics side), as it would still take time for me to gather the parts and learn about the electrics of the control track.

Perhaps I'll even do a write up here on explorerforum one day how to convert a 3gen ex to 4x4!:eek:

I also bough my ex from the original owner with low miles. I know the complete service history of it and I know how it was driven before me. I have also throughly maintained it including flushing the transmission before 30k

For a trade in of a similarly used explorer I would be looking at one with about 50k on it. I would be weary since I do not know the history of another truck. I doubt that the transmission on most any other ex I find would have been maintained and flushed early in its life the way I like my transmission to be maintained, especially with the "sealed for life crap" found the manual.

So for now, most of the excitement of doing a conversion like this would be for the fun of the work. It would also be such a grand feeling to have while off roading to know that I installed the 4x4 system myself.

40% of this venture is to actually have 4x4 when I go on high adventure trips.

60% of the reasoning for doing this conversion would be just for the fun of taking everything apart and putting it back together.

I'm still young right now and still in college (mechanical engineering major). I do not mind auto work and actually enjoy working on my truck. A project like this would also present an opportunity to better acquaint myself with all the hidden nooks and crannys of my truck. I believe that a man can never be knowledgeable enough with the truck he drives.

I am still learning about the 4x4 system at this point, and any work would not begin until next summer ('09)(that is, if I still find it feasible on the electronics side), as it would still take time for me to gather the parts and learn about the electrics of the control track.

Perhaps I'll even do a write up here on explorerforum one day how to convert a 3gen ex to 4x4!:eek:

Hello all,
I am looking into what it will take to convert my '02 explorer to 4x4.

My current 2x4 explorer has the 3.55 rear differential.

My question is: was the 4x4 '02 explorer offered with the 3.55 differentials?

If this is the case then I would have to get a new differential for the rear to match the entire front drive differential that I would pull off of another '02 explorer.

Thanks.

im looking to convert my 4x4 to a 2WD. lets hook up, well swap parts !@

im looking to convert my 4x4 to a 2WD. lets hook up, well swap parts !@

Sorry for the late reply. I still do not feel confident in the electronics side of the conversion, so I am not ready to convert. I will also not be in a position to do a conversion until next summer, a year from now.

Thanks for the offer though.

Perhaps then if you are still interested I'll hit you up

Back