True Dual Exhaust - Need opinions on TIPS - see photos | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

True Dual Exhaust - Need opinions on TIPS - see photos

my dual exhaust is a basic Y set up, comes out the back on both sides and hugs right under the bumper. i went with some flattened oval tips, looks decent, and doesn't interfere with the tow hitch, or the spare tire.

although honestly,in hind sight, knowing what i know now, i'd have probably just had them open up the pipes for as much air flow as possible, and used the stock routing, the dual exhaust is a bit of a liability when off roading, although it looks like you're a whole lot nicer to your explorer than me, or many others on here.

Care to share a photo of your setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure how you feel about cutting into your bumper but if you did an exhaust set up like this Dodge Ram, it could look pretty cool and look more stock.
dodge_zpsocquyskr.jpg

I'm not sure how you feel about cutting into your bumper but if you did an exhaust set up like this Dodge Ram, it could look pretty cool and look more stock.
dodge_zpsocquyskr.jpg

I've actually contemplated that one. Due to the fact that I just had the bumper completely refinished and you cannot buy a NOS bumper with the sensor cutouts anymore (if it is screwed up) I have wrote that one off. Here are a few other photos I have found of dual exhaust setups in order to get some ideas

Attachments

• attachment-3.jpg
    attachment-3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 384
  • c4rrsml.jpg
    c4rrsml.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 211
  • mounty7.JPG
    mounty7.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Photo Jan 05, 8 11 34 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 05, 8 11 34 PM.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_2015-06-13-22-32-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-13-22-32-47.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_2015-06-13-22-33-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-13-22-33-38.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 203

The side exhaust in the pic above is like the Gen 2.5 Concept side exhaust seen below

Attachments

• Photo Sep 13, 9 30 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 13, 9 30 55 PM.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Photo Sep 13, 9 30 15 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 13, 9 30 15 PM.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 199

I love the look of the side exhaust before the tire pictured above on the green explorer.

the blue sport "hotness" (member explorersport77 aka tara) if you can believe it is a single muffler split to duel pips. i have seen her truck several times. when it was done they also had to cut into the lower quarters to route it threw the sides but it does look good, and the heat off the pipes hasnt warped the ground effects either.
that is a real sharp truck and also the truck that i copied the roll pan from .

I love the look of the side exhaust before the tire pictured above on the green explorer.

Any info on the green side exit exhaust? Is that custom or a catback kit?

I'm not good at photoshop. I use Adobe illustrator for my job but I tried haha. If you send me a picture of the exhaust tips you are interested in, from a straight back view, I can do a much better job. The tips I used are off a bmw x5. Also, let me know what other locations you would like the tips to exit.
explorer_zpsciizxg0c.png
Hi again AJC. A couple of people have recommended doing maybe 3 to 4 in true dual tips together at stock exhaust pipe location instead of the traditional dual opposing pipe locations. Think you might be able to photo shop how this might look?

A few more pictures of the side exhaust since I am getting ready to revisit the question of what exhaust config to do now the supercharger is being installed.

Mountaineer002.jpg
Mountaineer009.jpg
12-18-06012Small.jpg
12-18-06011Small.jpg
12-18-06007Small.jpg
12-18-06010Small.jpg
12-18-06005Small.jpg
12-18-06006Small.jpg
12-18-06003Small.jpg
12-19-06002Small.jpg
12-19-06004Small.jpg
12-19-06005Small.jpg
12-19-06009Small.jpg
12-19-06011Small.jpg

With the tips on just one side does it help with right turns? 😅

i like that look if both sides have the dual tips always seemed weird to me just one side. I went with the duals out the back and kept the spare. Only downside is if you are going downhill behind me you can see the pipe run under the spare. Otherwise the dual outs in back just seem so clean to me. First pic is before I re-painted the bumper. I did not go for any tips but have been thinking about it.

632B8412-5611-4C67-BDDC-48B91BCD252C.jpeg

6E86357A-045C-4E24-9966-08E10AF41DDF.jpeg

Right now floating between several options. I want something that looks special - as if SVT might have done something with the exhaust on this truck in 2000. The center dual is cool in idea form but not sure if in reality (see pics of my 1st post) it would be as nice. I've seen multiple photos of duals out the back like the photos of the last post and also the side exhaust. The last side exhaust photo helps visualize how this might look with a truck that has stock running boards similar to the ones on my 2000 Limited. Just a very difficult decision because of the effect and look I seem to be searching for.....

With the tips on just one side does it help with right turns? 😅

i like that look if both sides have the dual tips always seemed weird to me just one side. I went with the duals out the back and kept the spare. Only downside is if you are going downhill behind me you can see the pipe run under the spare. Otherwise the dual outs in back just seem so clean to me. First pic is before I re-painted the bumper. I did not go for any tips but have been thinking about it.

View attachment 331399

View attachment 331401
BTW - any photos how you routed your exhaust from underneath the truck - from front to back. What mufflers and did you use x/h pipe or anything different? Thanks

BTW - any photos how you routed your exhaust from underneath the truck - from front to back. What mufflers and did you use x/h pipe or anything different? Thanks
Hey sorry I did not post em all the first time. They are in my build thread too.
Went with a dual in dual out 2.5 flowmaster. It bushes down to 2.25 after the muffler for each pipe. Looking at a bunch of exhaust charts from others seems my engine will never produce enough HP to need anything bigger. I like keeping the spare on so went with this setup.
793963D0-D47F-408B-8063-741B792A5F6E.jpeg
16E8A41B-39E9-40E8-AF16-CDF8205848FE.jpeg
88FDB70C-6F15-402F-BBA6-B726B2A72301.jpeg

The white limited with the painted on tips in the bumper couple posts up would look bad ass if done for real.

Side pipes!

Out the fenders and down the sides like a Corvette.

So question here again. It seems there are many versions of cars running side exit exhausts just before the rear tire like the older F150, Current AMG Mercedes G63 G Wagon, etc. I've heard one opinion that this can destroy the rear rim over time - but the question is do these other vehicles have this problem and how do the OEMs deal with this?
Mountaineer009.jpg
12-19-06005Small.jpg
8-1550516682139.jpg
2019-G-G63-AMG-SUV-FUTURE-GALLERY-016-WR-D.jpg

The side exit before the tires is my favorite look. But I would want it both sides personally. Or else, to me, it just looks like you cut out the resonator and slapped on a autozone dual out tip. The routing for this is probably easier then getting it out the back but would be going over drive shaft. And my front rims already take more abuse when driving long trips. But the tires get rotated so you will be abusing the rims equally in theory so no big deal.

The dual center pipes seem really, really impractical. Specially it towing.

I keep editing this; if you are only after one side exit why not just bump the pipe up to a dual in single 3” out? Would keep it just as open as duals from muffler. Might sound deeper too because of the bigger pipe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The side exit before the tires is my favorite look. The routing for this is probably easier then getting it out the back but would be going over drive shaft. And my front rims already take more abuse when driving long trips. But the tires get rotated so you will be abusing the rims equally in theory so no big deal.

The dual center pipes seem really, really impractical. Specially it towing.
I agree if someone were using the vehicle to tow but I do not anticipate that I will be towing since I haven't yet since owning this truck.

Just wonder how much a concern regarding side exit and my powdercoated Speedline Magnesium rims. Anyone know any Explorer people that have side exit exhaust and what has been their experience with this issue or even if its a real issue at all.....???
52CE3195-5545-41D7-BC65-F481C325BFEA.jpeg

Back