True Dual Exhaust - Need opinions on TIPS - see photos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

True Dual Exhaust - Need opinions on TIPS - see photos

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
So I am getting ready to install a set of headers and full mandrel bent exhaust system on BIG WHITE.

I've seen plenty of 2nd Generation Explorers with Two rear pipes but never have seen any with center exit tips similar to the previous generation SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

As with everything else on this truck - I am looking to do something a bit different than anyone else has done before. The concept for this vehicle is a "What If" Ford had made a model above the limited but was performance based with the luxury of the limited but had enough (like the hood, wing and wheels that I've added) to set it apart from all the other 2nd generation Explorers to let people know this vehicle was somehow different.

Here was some test fitting of some tips to get an idea of how it might look. Looking for opinions either way.

* Center exhaust exit - yes or no?

* Dark tips or Chrome Tips (The only chrome on the truck is the small bit on the Ford Logos)

* Larger diameter or smaller tips?

Note - Big thanks to the boss man at the exhaust shop helping me get these photos.

Attachments

• 20151019_161500.jpg
    20151019_161500.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 560
  • 20151019_161531.jpg
    20151019_161531.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 20151019_161534(0).jpg
    20151019_161534(0).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 20151019_161536.jpg
    20151019_161536.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 20151019_161537.jpg
    20151019_161537.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 472

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally not a fan. Looks out of place without the bumper to wrap around it. Mine exits at an angle behind the tire.

Crappy video but wasn't going for good. Just to record the sound to compare after I install the cam.
https://youtu.be/EfSBMVLbqt8

Have tips exit thru bumper.

This is probably the only way you might pull it off. They look too out of place hanging under the bumper. That exhaust routing will be a SOB too. There's very little space under these things as I'm sure you already know.

This is probably the only way you might pull it off. They look too out of place hanging under the bumper. That exhaust routing will be a SOB too. There's very little space under these things as I'm sure you already know.

I removed the spare - so that would leave some flexibility.

Here is a full shot of the rear for reference

Attachments

• 20151020_174517.jpg
    20151020_174517.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 438
  • 20151020_174531.jpg
    20151020_174531.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 20151020_174542.jpg
    20151020_174542.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 468

Since you have a painted bumper , and it could be repainted , why not cut outs like the newer ram pickups

in the end its your truck right? to me it looks to odd with the pipes under the bumper in the center. i didnt know how i wanted mine done when the shop had it. i asked him to do the pipes on either side, but didnt want them pointing straight out the back. this is what they did

DSC03207_Medium_.jpg

DSC03208_Medium_.jpg

granted you have a bumper and i have a pan, and i will never be able to carry a spare anymore now. also, i would put chrome tips on yours. it would suit the color of your truck more if you ask me.
just remember this as well, depending on the size of tips you use, it will make the truck louder compared to if you used the same size tube as your exhaust pipe

in the end its your truck right? to me it looks to odd with the pipes under the bumper in the center. i didnt know how i wanted mine done when the shop had it. i asked him to do the pipes on either side, but didnt want them pointing straight out the back. this is what they did

DSC03207_Medium_.jpg

DSC03208_Medium_.jpg

granted you have a bumper and i have a pan, and i will never be able to carry a spare anymore now. also, i would put chrome tips on yours. it would suit the color of your truck more if you ask me.
just remember this as well, depending on the size of tips you use, it will make the truck louder compared to if you used the same size tube as your exhaust pipe

I think I agree with you on the chrome tips. I'm going to go by there again and get a couple photos with some chrome tips and see how that looks. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your setup. I still haven't decided on what I want to do so I'm probably going to try out a few ideas to see what might work and see what you all think.

Thanks for the input!

If you exit the tips out of a white painted bumper, won't you have some unwanted accumulated soot residue on the white paint? It's obvious you take care of your vehicle and keep that kleen street look, but I'm thinkin' soot on the bumper would ruin that look. Maybe I'm way off base tho..

Curious to see the routing used for both of your dual exhausts.

black tips split wide or out the side behind the rear tires. Through the bumper would be a ton of work and there's no guarantee it won't cook the paint. And together in the middle looks out of place with the step bumper.

If you do think you are going with chrome, opt for stainless steel. I had chrome in the past, and after it gets pitted, it's constant maintenance with chrome polish to get rid of the rust.

In my opinion, you need make cut outs in the rear bumper to allow the use of through bumper exhaust. It could look pretty awesome if possible. The BMW X5 uses a similar exhaust set up.

To make it look factory, I believe you would have to sacrifice your two outermost back up sensors. If you install a backup camera, this will not be an issue.

X5 Exhaust
Shot%202015-10-25%20at%2012.08.33%20AM_zpsfipvihcu.png

My Ex without backup sensors. I can photoshop something if you would like.
96258AFF-D36D-42DB-971A-20A3818349F3_zpsjj0pjdwv.jpg

I'm not good at photoshop. I use Adobe illustrator for my job but I tried haha. If you send me a picture of the exhaust tips you are interested in, from a straight back view, I can do a much better job. The tips I used are off a bmw x5. Also, let me know what other locations you would like the tips to exit.
explorer_zpsciizxg0c.png

I'm not good at photoshop. I use Adobe illustrator for my job but I tried haha. If you send me a picture of the exhaust tips you are interested in, from a straight back view, I can do a much better job. The tips I used are off a bmw x5. Also, let me know what other locations you would like the tips to exit.
explorer_zpsciizxg0c.png

Wow - that is quite a good result. Really helps me visualize what that suggestion would look like.

Here are a few pics of the dual center from the SRT-8 (with Chrome tips - a couple variations) that I was also considering to put just under the center step (like the examples in my 1st pics) Think you could do these up??

Thank you so much for helping out with that great visual.

Attachments

• IMG_6432Small-1.jpg
    IMG_6432Small-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 8A_800.jpg
    8A_800.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 375
  • srt_back_001.jpg
    srt_back_001.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 405

Wow - that is quite a good result. Really helps me visualize what that suggestion would look like.

Here are a few pics of the dual center from the SRT-8 (with Chrome tips - a couple variations) that I was also considering to put just under the center step (like the examples in my 1st pics) Think you could do these up??

Thank you so much for helping out with that great visual.

Do you have any rear view pictures of your Ex without the shadow underneath the bumper? If so, give me a few days.

Here is one I did quickly. I also took out the stock exhaust tip.

If you can take some pictures of the rear of your Explorer at the exact same angle as the pictures of the SRT8, I will be able to match the tip angle better. Good lighting will help too.
IMG_0685_zpsqblakhmj.png

Here is one I did quickly. I also took out the stock exhaust tip.

If you can take some pictures of the rear of your Explorer at the exact same angle as the pictures of the SRT8, I will be able to match the tip angle better. Good lighting will help too.
IMG_0685_zpsqblakhmj.png

I'll get a pic one the rain departs over the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dual exhaust is a basic Y set up, comes out the back on both sides and hugs right under the bumper. i went with some flattened oval tips, looks decent, and doesn't interfere with the tow hitch, or the spare tire.

although honestly,in hind sight, knowing what i know now, i'd have probably just had them open up the pipes for as much air flow as possible, and used the stock routing, the dual exhaust is a bit of a liability when off roading, although it looks like you're a whole lot nicer to your explorer than me, or many others on here.

Back