Mike

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
West Babylon, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT v8 AWD
Ok i know there have been many many posts about this.. but i have some questions... i just got my shackles today... and i might do them and the TT tomorrow.. or this weekend... now my question is... Do i need to do anything special? do i need any special tools? the shackles look about 2" bigger then my stock ones... so im guesing i will get about that in lift.. now... will this do anything to my truck as far as ride? do i have to go slower around turns now? heh.. i have a lead foot.. also my truck is a lease... ya y aya i know i should not do this to a lease.. but who cares... i will just take them off at the end of my lease.. but if my truck goes in for service will they say anything? has anyone had any exp with service and shackles and TT? im sorry for the jumbled up post but its late... and im excited :bounce: to get this done... any and all info welcome..

Mike :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shackles' extended length should all be between the mounting holes, therefore 2". As for the TT, measure from the ground to your fender, jack the truck up, turn the bolts a bunch, put the truck back down. Repeat until you get the desired lift. The TT will settle a bit after driving, but minor adjustments can be done without a lift.

You'll need an alignment afterwards. And Ford shouldn't have a problem with the lift. It's very easy to uninstall also.

Oh, ride? It'll be stiffer in the front and unchanged in the rear. With larger and wider tires, it should handle and ride better.

welp the shackles are all done.. its really not as hard as it looks.. and for anyone out there thinking about it.. DO IT!! if i would have known it was that easy i would have done it a long time ago..best $65 i have spent on my truck..

thanks to all for your help... i will take some pick tuesday.

Mike

I am wanting to do this on my 94. I know I can't to the TT but will do the coil spacers. Will I have to get shock extenders? Can the alignment be done after? (someone told me stock length won't fit and that the lift will max out the alignment.

Thanks for the prompt replies
Blake

i dont mean to intrude on someone else's thread, but i was wondering about the rear leaf springs on the four door x. i have custom exhaust that exits similiar the way stock does on the passenger side on the driver side (pipe some between the frame and the leaf spring. are shackles the part of the suspenion that bolt to the frame and then to the leaf spring? if so are the warrior shackles what i would need to lift the back end on the x up a little. the only reason i ask is that most people that ride in the x (4 adults) are all home grown (NOT skinny). i'm sorry to ask a dumb question. i'm not familiar with suspenion upgrades, mostly a little knowledge about most other things on cars/trucks.

sorry this is so long.

yes shackles are the part the is on the frame that the leaf springs go into.. i will take some pics when i get home..

shackles for my 98 awd

what kind of shackles did you get? where? and how long did it take to install them? could you walk me through it?

Welp, at the request of many... im going to try to take some pics and do a little write up on how to do the Shackles.... gimmie a day or 2 as i work 10 hours a day.. and its going to be raining out... so i need to take the pics...

O and by the way... Welcome to the board Goka10... you will find everything you need here on this site... i have done a lot of stuff to my X that would have never goten done.. if not for this site.. lots of great people here.. and they are all full of help and great idea's....

Mike

BTW To answer williecume's question i attached a pic... those are the shackles... yours are a lot smaller... but in the same place..

Mike

Attachments

• shackles.jpg
    shackles.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 176

Back