Vin number "W"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vin number "W"?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 2WD
So I'm replacing my 2003 4.0 and have found a lot of people list what the letter is of the 8th digit in the Vin. Mine is a W. Can a different letter motor work? I finally pulled it out to find it locked up. I can't even turn the flywheel to remove the torque converter. So again, thanks in advance...and whats with the different lettered Vins?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

W is Romeo, R is Windsor. The R's were in the trucks and have an 8 bolt crank. Ours just have the 6 bolt crank.

I don't recall what code the 8 bolt cranks were. A lot of garbage in the forums across the net on this.

Thing to know, is you need a 6 bolt crank, which would be a W.

So if I am to purchase a replacement motor from a salvage yard, the type of crank makes a difference on how the torque converter attaches? This seems odd.

What seems odd is the letter W with a 4.0 engine. Sure your 8th digit is a W?

1FMZU63W33******* and after pulling the motor out of the truck, it's locked up tight. Looks like someone had it out once before due to the RTV sealant around the rear cassette plug. I can't even get the torque converter off. I ordered an offset 14mm wrench to get at those nuts. SO I think it's just as easy to replace the motor with a pulled one from a salvage yard.

Okay, totally missed the 4.0 part.

What's your full VIN?

Here's info based on what you have is.

image.png

Ok, so I'll never let this one down. I have the titles for BOTH of my ex's in front of me. I have an 03 with the V8. I'm working on the one with the 4.0, I read the wrong title. The eight number is a "K". 1FMZU63K13******* Sorry....it's hot outside and I've been working hard today... :) So, 4.0 flex motor can only be swapped with another flex motor?

Ah this is an easy reply now. You can use any 02+ 4.0 sohc v6 and swap it right in. Just be sure to use your original harness and fuel injectors and rail.

Back