Location of 2013 Explorer Service Button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of 2013 Explorer Service Button

Hosedragger226

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I just had the remote start turned on and 2 keys activated for my 2013 Explorer XLT. However, when I remote start the vehicle, enter, then put the key in the remote and turn it to the on position, the car shuts off. The dealer said this is a safety factor built-in the remote start feature. I have seen on YouTube that this feature can be turned off by following a procedure where you push the service button under the steering column while depressing the brake pedal to put the vehicle into the program mode.

However, I CANNOT fond the programming or service button under the dash as described in the video. I've take the carpet out, panel off and the running board off to gain access, but cannot see the button like the one described in the videos. Am I blind or is there another type of button for the 2013 Ford Explorer XLT?

Any info would help. Thanks in advance.
Hosedragger226

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OEM remote start is built into the vehicle already. There is no button that you speak of. If you are using IKT's that operate by locking the vehicle and then pressing the remote start button twice you simply put the key in the ignition, turn it to the run position, not just accessory and you can drive away. If that is not how it is operating you have a fault in the system. The dealer should look at it.

First few times I thought my 2013 was also shutting off but what happens is when you install the key in a remote started EX and turn the key the back seat blowers shut off from it's RS mode. The Engine does not shut off.

Have the display show your tachometer. Engine is real quiet.

In the RS settings you can option what you want turned on in RS. Verify it is indeed shutting off the engine. I don't think it is.

Jason...no...I'm not talking about the OEM remote start feature. That works...everything is fine with it except that when you get into the car and put the key into the ignition, the engine shuts off. There is supposed to be a programming button under the dash the you can activate to get into the programming mode to turn this default function off; so that you don't have to restart your car again.

I just cannot locate this button on my 2013 Explorer.

Check it out!

https://youtu.be/fQHb0mU0rvI

Thanks again,
Hosedragger226

Champco...the engine does shut off. Ford dealer says it is a safety feature. Trying to locate the programming button under dash to get into programming options to turn off this default feature.

Check it out?

Thanks for your help,
Hosedragger226

Champco...the engine does shut off. Ford dealer says it is a safety feature. Trying to locate the programming button under dash to get into programming options to turn off this default feature.

Check it out?

Thanks for your help,
Hosedragger226

You need to clarify what system is installed. Show us a pic of the fob that controls it. That would help.

The youtube video that you're referencing is showing for an Expedition. The Explorer is a completely different vehicle with a different set of functionality. Based on the video you linked to, the service button was something utilized for older vehicles that didn't have the LCD's in the guage cluster. With the Explorer, you can use the D-Pad on the left of the steering wheel along with the corresponding display to find any options/configurations for Remote Start.

Jason...no...I'm not talking about the OEM remote start feature. That works...everything is fine with it except that when you get into the car and put the key into the ignition, the engine shuts off. There is supposed to be a programming button under the dash the you can activate to get into the programming mode to turn this default function off; so that you don't have to restart your car again.

I just cannot locate this button on my 2013 Explorer.

Check it out!

Thanks again,
Hosedragger226

"With the Explorer, you can use the D-Pad on the left of the steering wheel along with the corresponding display to find any options/configurations for Remote Start."

I agree. I have not had a reason to look for this particular option or go thru all the options but when I turned my key first couple times I thought it died because all the fans quit. Confusing but I realized the engine was still running.
Two possibilities.
OP is right and the engine quits after turning the key. Time period of RS expired or it's optioned to shut off the engine.

Benefit of the doubt the OP is warranted as the engine quits. If so we must find out why and fix it. I will verify on D-Pad to see I can option mine to shut off after RS.
Maybe Jason can shed some light on this.

There is no OEM remote start that has the button the OP describes for the 13 Explorer which is why I am awaiting for the OP to verify what system was installed. We can go from there then.

There is no OEM remote start that has the button the OP describes for the 13 Explorer which is why I am awaiting for the OP to verify what system was installed. We can go from there then.
:thumbsup:

I know features vary by years - but my long range factory remote start on my 2011 starts the vehicle as requested, I walk up, open the door with the key remote, insert the key in the ignition, turn to "run", and the engine continues running.

If I forget and try to move the transmission selector before inserting a key and turning to "run", there is an interlock switch that shuts the engine off.

Champco - what is a D-pad?

There is a software selection in the left dash display setup menu on a 2011 that tells the software how long the vehicle should run after starting. IIRC on my '11, the choices are 5/10/15 minutes.

:thumbsup:..........Champco - what is a D-pad?
I'm guessing Directional Pad (arrows). I hate it when such abbreviations are used assuming everyone knows the meaning.:(

Peter

The engine will shut off if you press the brake and activate the gear shifter button while in remote-start mode. You must first press the brake and press the "Start" button to turn all vehicle systems on.

and the OP hasnt come back...based on the info provided so far I would say the key wasn't being turned to the full on position.

My Bad...Thanks for the help guys. I do appreciate it!

Back